Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

If that doesn't work let's assume that the tablet is identified to the system as '9x12 Tablet' for whatever reason. After all that's what xinput and Xorg.0.log say. So try:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "WizardPen class"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        MatchVendor "UC-LOGIC|KYE Systems|Ace Cad|9x12 Tablet"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "wizardpen"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "WizardPen ignore mouse dev class"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        MatchVendor "UC-LOGIC|KYE Systems|Ace Cad|9x12 Tablet"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
        Option "Ignore" "yes"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't yet understand why/how, but I got it working. Here are the default values that work normally with one display and then stretch the stylus across both screens when two (same resolutions) are active:

TopX 0
    BottomX 24576
    TopY 0
    BottomY 18432

To restrict the stylus to the main tablet display when a second display is on the *left* I use:

TopX -24576
    BottomX 24576
    TopY 0
    BottomY 18432

To restrict the stylus to the main tablet display when a second display is on the *right* I use:

TopX 0
    BottomX 49152
    TopY 0
    BottomY 18432

After reading

Code:
    zsharon@Weierstrass:~$ xinput --list 14
    Serial Wacom Tablet stylus              	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    	Reporting 8 classes:
    		Class originated from: 14
    		Buttons supported: 32
    		Button labels: None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None
    		Button state:
    		Keycodes supported: 248
    		Detail for Valuator 0:
    		  Label: Abs X
    		  Range: 0.000000 - 24576.000000
    		  Resolution: 2540 units/m
    		  Mode: relative
    		Detail for Valuator 1:
    		  Label: Abs Y
    		  Range: 0.000000 - 18432.000000
    		  Resolution: 2540 units/m
    		Detail for Valuator 2:
    		  Label: Abs Pressure
    		  Range: 0.000000 - 2048.000000
    		  Resolution: 1 units/m
    		Detail for Valuator 3:
    		  Label: Abs Tilt X
    		  Range: -64.000000 - 63.000000
    		Detail for Valuator 4:
    		  Label: Abs Tilt Y
    		  Range: -64.000000 - 63.000000
    		Detail for Valuator 5:
    		  Label: Abs Wheel
    		  Range: -900.000000 - 899.000000
    a bit more carefully, it would seem that 1024 pixels corresponds to 24576 units, so since setting TopX to U and BottomX to V tells the stylus to use the horizontal region from U to V, the only thing you have to do is decide what region (in terms of U and V) corresponds to the display you want. Apparently, the left edge of the display which is (not physically, but as far as the computer knows) on the left is always 0. For my current setup, the width of my two screens (both 1024 wide) is 49152 units, which makes things make a bit more sense.

While testing out a few more things, it suddenly stopped working. The stylus doesn't seem to work at all and trying to use it freezes all pointers for a few seconds. I'll do a restart and keep at it.

EDIT: Okay, no restart needed. Using these buttons (which have two commands in each one) sets

TopX 0
    BottomX 0
    TopY 0
    BottomY 14

which is of course a problem. I'd guess it happens because when I use a launched on the xfce panel, the second command (setting BottomX) starts while the first command (setting TopX) is working?
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; December 31st, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm fairly sure that the instructions below are correct. These instructions may be incorporated into a guide here as well: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1656089 That guide will also have instructions for other, similar setups.

I followed this post and it seems correct, if cryptic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=15. I'm going to state my interpretation of that here, and I'll also cover changing vertical values for those who have different resolutions on their monitors.

Preliminaries:

These instructions assume that you haven't changed anything using xsetwacom. If you have, you should reset to default values (that is, the stylus should work normally when no external monitor is connected); rebooting should accomplish this. Also, I'm using xf86-input-wacom 0.10.8. I'm using

Code:
    xsetwacom set "Serial Wacom Tablet Stylus" Screen_No -1
    I don't fully understand this setting yet, though it doesn't appear to do anything.

I'm using xrandr to use an external monitor, so this may not work for those using the nvidia drivers.

Using xsetwacom:

To start with, we're going to need to get some values using xinput. Read the output of

Code:
    xinput list
    and find the lines that correspond to your stylus and eraser (if you have one). For me, it's this:

Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Serial Wacom Tablet eraser              	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Serial Wacom Tablet stylus              	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Gaming Mouse               	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    Also notice the id for each device; this will make the commands a fair bit shorter. The device ids can change, so if you're going to write scripts to automate this, then you need to use the device names in quotes. Run the following commands:

Code:
    xsetwacom get [device name/id] BottomX
    xsetwacom get [device name/id] BottomY
    the first value will be called Wxsw(Left+Right) and the second will be called Hxsw(Large) (these labels will make sense later). It's a good idea to record these somewhere. They appear to correspond to the resolution of the wacom digitizer, and better tablets will have larger values......I think.

Example:

Code:
    zsharon@Weierstrass:~$ xsetwacom get "Serial Wacom Tablet stylus" BottomX
    Of course the stylus only works by pointing it at the tablet screen, but we can easily control which screen the pointer appears on, and we'll scale it correctly so that pointing the stylus at the bottom right corner of the tablet screen will move the pointer to the bottom right corner of whichever screen we've chosen, regardless of the resolution. You'll generally use this only to restrict the stylus to the tablet screen, but I found it more clear to write this more generally since an external monitor can be on the right or the left.

Horizontal settings:

Using "Left" and "Right" to refer to our monitors only with regard to their xinput topology (that is, we don't care which is physically on the left, only which X thinks is on the left), we'll use the following notation:

Code:
    Wxsw(monitor) = the width that xsetwacom seems to ascribe to the screen,
    Wact(monitor) = the "actual" physical width in pixels of the screen.
    These can also be used for the whole display, so Wact(Left+Right) is the sum of the physical widths of the two displays; in other words, it's the same as Wact(Left)+Wact(Right). The number we found earlier for Wxsw(Left+Right) is how wide xsetwacom thinks the whole display is.

Now, for reasons unknown,

Code:
    Wxsw(Left)*Wact(Left)=Wxsw(Right)*Wact(Right)=Wxsw(Left+Right)*Wact(Left+Right)
    In other words, the width ascribed to a screen by xsetwacom is inversely proportional to its physical width, with constant of proportionality equal to Wxsw(-)*Wact(-) for any of the screens involved. Since we know Wact(-) for each of our screens, knowing Wxsw(-) for any one of them gives us a numerical value for the constant of proportionality and allows us to determine Wxsw(-) for each of the others. For example, if we know

Code:
    Wxsw(Left+Right)=24576
    Wact(Left+Right)=Wact(Left)+Wact(Right)=1280+1024=2304
    Wact(Right)=1024
    Then the constant of proportionality is

Code:
    Wxsw(Left+Right)*Wact(Left+Right)=24576*2304=56623104
    and therefore

Code:
    Wxsw(Right)=Wxsw(Left+Right)*Wact(Left+Right)/Wact(Right)=56623104/1024=55296
    so xsetwacom sees the Right display as being 55,296 units wide.

So how do we use this? Disconnect any external monitor and restart your computer to reset the xsetwacom values (simply restarting X may be enough). Use xrandr to connect the secondary display and check that the stylus is (incorrectly) mapped across both screens. Use

Code:
    xsetwacom get [device name/id] BottomX
    as detailed above to find Wxsw(Left+Right). Use this number to find Wxsw(Left) and Wxsw(Right).

Now, if you wish to map the stylus to the Left screen, use "xsetwacom set" to set the following values:

Code:
    TopX = 0
    BottomX = Wxsw(Left)
    We set TopX=0 since we want the stylus to abut the left edge of the whole display, and we set BottomX=Wxsw(Left) so that the stylus uses the proper width, that is we want

Code:
    BottomX-TopX=Wxsw(Left)
    If you wish to map the stylus to the Right screen, use "xsetwacom set" to set the following values:

Code:
    TopX = Wxsw(Left+Right)-Wxsw(Right)
    BottomX = Wxsw(Left+Right)
    We set BottomX=Wxsw(Left+Right) so the the stylus abuts the right edge of the display (remember that Wxsw(Left+Right) is the width that xsetwacom assigns to the whole display) and set TopX=Wxsw(Left+Right)-Wxsw(Right) so that the stylus uses the proper width, which is

Code:
    BottomX-TopX=Wxsw(Left+Right)-[Wxsw(Left+Right)-Wxsw(Right)]=Wxsw(Right)
    To continue the earlier example, if I want to map my stylus to the Right screen only, then I use

Code:
    xsetwacom set 14 TopX -30720
    xsetwacom set 14 BottomX 24576
    Yes, I use a negative value for TopX, which seems odd, but it works.

To recap:

Code:
    1. Find Wxsw(-) for the default (wrong) setting.
    2. Compute the constant of proportionality.
    3. Find Wxsw(Left) or Wxsw(Right).
    4. Input values.
    Unless you change the resolutions for your screens, you should only have to find the constant of proportionality once.

Vertical settings:

When you use xrandr to use a second monitor, the stylus should scale according to the larger screen, so if you intend to use the stylus with the larger screen, no changes are needed.

If you want to use the stylus with a screen which is the smaller of the two screens, then you'll want to adjust the vertical as well. All you should need to do is scale things. Let

Code:
    Hact(Large) = Larger screen height in pixels
    Hact(Small) = Smaller screen height in pixels
    Hxsw(Large) = height xsetwacom assigns to the larger screen
    Hxsw(Small) = height xsetwacom assigns to the smaller screen
    Again, these values are related by

Code:
    Hact(Large)*Hxsw(Large)=Hact(Small)*Hxsw(Small)
    To get the value needed to restrict the stylus to the vertical region spanned by the smaller screen, obtain Hxsw(Large) using

Code:
    xsetwacom get [device name/id] BottomY
    and set

Code:
    BottomY = Hsxw(Small)=Hxsw(Large)*Hact(Large)/Hact(Small)
    using the command

Code:
    xsetwacom set [device name/id] BottomY VALUE
    For me, this is 18342*1024/768=24456, so

Code:
    xsetwacom set 14 BottomY 24456
    sets my stylus to have the desired height range. Of course, I still have TopY = 0.

Eraser:

If you have an eraser on your stylus, don't forget to adjust the eraser as well. Use the same commands you used for the stylus but with the id for the eraser instead.

I hope this is clear enough.
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; January 10th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay, wow. I'm starting to think that my driver installation just did not work and the tablet is only working off the evdev driver. I tried that last 70-wizardpen.conf setup and still nothing. I even tried using
    Code:
    "                9x12 Tablet"
    instead of "9x12 Tablet" because xinput --list shows it with a ton of spaces before hand, but that didn't work either. Xorg.0.log still shows it using "evdev tablet catchall" On the off chance that perhaps I'm looking at the wrong thing, I will include the appropriate sections of Xorg.0.log at the end of this post. Should I try the alternate method of driver installation suggested in this howto?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen

Here is the xorg.0.log section I promised:

Code:
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device                 9x12 Tablet (/dev/input/event5)
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: always reports core events
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: Device: "/dev/input/event5"
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found 1 mouse buttons
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found absolute axes
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found x and y absolute axes
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found absolute tablet.
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Configuring as tablet
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "                9x12 Tablet" (type: TABLET)
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: initialized for absolute axes.
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device                 9x12 Tablet (/dev/input/mouse1)
    (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device                 9x12 Tablet (/dev/input/event6)
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: Device: "/dev/input/event6"
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found 3 mouse buttons
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found scroll wheel(s)
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found relative axes
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found x and y relative axes
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Configuring as mouse
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "                9x12 Tablet" (type: MOUSE)
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: initialized for relative axes.
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device                 9x12 Tablet (/dev/input/mouse2)
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device                 9x12 Tablet (/dev/input/event7)
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    (**)                 9x12 Tablet: Device: "/dev/input/event7"
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found 3 mouse buttons
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found absolute axes
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found x and y absolute axes
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Found absolute tablet.
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: Configuring as tablet
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "                9x12 Tablet" (type: TABLET)
    (II)                 9x12 Tablet: initialized for absolute axes.
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device                 9x12 Tablet (/dev/input/mouse3)
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA Digital PCBeep (/dev/input/event9)

Beans
    Distro

Hi 1script, shadarack, and Fwirt,

We've figured out a way to confine the tablet to one Monitor I think. If you go to the "HOW TO Setup a Wacom Tablet with Multi-Monitors in Maverick and Natty" using the 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' method. This is provided you have Xorg 1.9 (Maverick), which is when it was added. I think this will work for any tablet.

SnickerSnack's method using xsetwacom coordinates will also work for tablets on the Wacom driver in Xorg 1.9 and earlier.

Hi shadarack,

I do not understand why we are seeing what we are seeing, i.e. the tablet name truncated to '9x12 Tablet' with obvious whitespaces in front indicating the missing name. I'm wondering about a problem with your tablet's firmware. Or did you add or modify a udev rule somewhere? A wizardpen.rules or something?

When you enter:
    Code:
    lsusb
    in a terminal does the line in the output with the tablet have the whole name or is it truncated also?

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

Just coming back to my old thread after a few months of neglect and I'm so happy to see that there'd been positive developments, at least for Wacom tablet users.

Since I'm in the Wizardpen camp (WP8060U), I'm still struggling. There seems to be quite a difference between

1. Gnome versions' handling of input from HAL devices - I'm still using 1.7; have a feeling the 1.9 may actually be the key to this fix.
    2. Wacom driver vs. Wizardpen handling of configurations. Confusingly, they seem to use the same files but parse them differently

My xinput list-props output seems to be different that what's been reported in the Wacom threads and does not include the transformation matrix:
    Code:
    user@box:~$ xinput list-props "UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U"Device
     'UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U':
    	Device Enabled (121):	1
    	Device Accel Profile (241):	0
    	Device Accel Constant Deceleration (242):	1.000000
    	Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (244):	1.000000
    	Device Accel Velocity Scaling (245):	10.000000
    So, can we do a roll call here please: those people that have been able to limit the pen tablet to one monitor out of two:

1. What version of Gnome you're using?
    2. Are you using Wacom or Wizardpen drivers?

I've got some configs I've tried unsuccessfully (/etc/hal/fdi/policy/99-x11-wizardpen.fdi, /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-wizardpen.conf etc.) Does anyone see any value to this thread in posting non-working configs?
    To Build And Overclock!

Beans
    Distro

Hi 1script,

Good to hear from you.

That's why I linked you to the Multi-monitor HOW TO above. I think the "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" will work for any tablet. But it depends on you having Xorg 1.9/Maverick installed, which is why you're not seeing it in list-props. Unless you want to try updating your Xorg in Lucid.

Beans
    Distro

Favux, thanks!

I'm just about to start upgrade to 10.10 because updating Xorg in 10.04 does not seem to make any sense. Additionally, I'm having some performance issues with Evolution that may go away with the new versions. There are also other benefits of staying current, so I'll just do it and then come back to this thread with results.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi 1script,

Good to hear from you.

That's why I linked you to the Multi-monitor HOW TO above. I think the "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" will work for any tablet. But it depends on you having Xorg 1.9/Maverick installed, which is why you're not seeing it in list-props. Unless you want to try updating your Xorg in Lucid.
    To Build And Overclock!

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

Well, upgrade to 10.10 , along with the weird fonts, brought an unpleasant surprise: the tablet stopped working completely. So I'm back to square one (well, slightly before that, actually). I need go fix it and then tackle the monitor targeting one more time.
    To Build And Overclock!

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: How to limit pen tablet to one display out of two?

A quick update: I am now on 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and after only 5 hours of dancing around a non-working tablet, it works again.

Well, sort of.

First of all: lessons learned from the upgrade fiasco: if you've made so many changes to different configuration files, just uninstall the thing and install again. This is what in the end fixed it - it did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen
    sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen
    It installs version 0.7.4 that is not the latest but the latest 0.8 xserver-xorg-input-wizardpen does not compile on Maverick.

In any case, by using the coordinate transformation matrix from this post I now have a tablet who's cursor is bound within the monitor that I want (tried both left and right - both 1280x1024)

HOWEVER:

When you attempt drawing, the cursor selects things on a wrong monitor! I guess the best I can describe it as if there is another, invisible cursor in the same vertical position but on the opposite monitor and if you put the stylus down to the tablet, it selects at the position of the invisible cursor rather than the one that you're looking at.

So, it looks like the coordinate transformation matrix works for the cursor but not buttons?

Here is my xinput --list now:

Code:
    user@box:~$ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ stylus                                  	id=6	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                 	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse         	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Logitech USB Multimedia Keyboard        	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Logitech USB Multimedia Keyboard        	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    The selection in red is new - I did not have stylus separate from the UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U device before.

In any case, running xinput set-prop for a separate device called stylus did not help the issue.

Anyone has any idea on where to go from here?
    To Build And Overclock!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast