Thread: UFW/TP-Link Router- Custom Rules

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

UFW/TP-Link Router- Custom Rules

Hi I know this isn't 100% to do with Ubuntu, but I have set up some custom outbound deny rules for my firewall but would like to have the rules set up across the entire network rather than just for my computer. I am using a TP-Link Router and I want to block some specific IPs and ports, I can add the settings into router so that the rules apply to the entire network using the router firewall but unfortunately when I apply the outbound rules to the router it completely resets itself wiping out all saved configuration settings. Could this be due to me blocking a port necessary for the router to function? I can provide the port numbers. I understand I could apply the rules to each computer using ufw. But unfortunately I am the only one in the house using UNIX, the other members of the household use windows and thus setting up settings on the router would be easiest.
    There is no on/off switch per-say, just this big blue button right here, this knob controls ahhhh something else...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: UFW/TP-Link Router- Custom Rules

Are you sure it "resets itself" or do you mean it becomes "dead" and you have to do a hardware reset manually to get back in again?
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; September 9th, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
    Send tips to: 17raXAGM42vZX21Vcb5HDwq2GMLmVwN4qd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No hardware resetting or pinhole pushing involved at all. For some strange reason when u add your custom block settings into the router it literally erases its memory and configuration settings and you have to set everything up from scratch again. Only happens when applying custom firewall settings. I have updated to the latest version of firmware, still happening.
    There is no on/off switch per-say, just this big blue button right here, this knob controls ahhhh something else...

Beans

" you have to set everything up from scratch again"

... you noticed it is possible to save your TP-Link router settings in a file on your computer, then reload them with one click from the router interface if everything is erased, didn't you?

I hope you don't write everything manually each time you alter your port settings and it resets

edit : sorry, hadn't noticed last post was a month ago...