Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice on a general purpose language

Beans

Re: Advice on a general purpose language

Quote Originally Posted by worseisworser View Post
    Because it's not really about the bindings.
    then what are you talking about? We are discussing using PHP for desktop applications. GTK bindings for PHP have been available for use to do that, same as those for Python/Perl/Ruby. Bringing assembly into the picture is irrelevant.!

edit: Just to be clear; I have used PHP, and I did not enjoy it. Language level issues bothered me the most.
    That's your choice, and i do not care. What i am emphasizing here is a fact, that PHP can be used to do desktop applications. That's all. Whether its suitable or not is secondary, since people's choices are all subjective.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdog74 View Post
    then what are you talking about? We are discussing using PHP for desktop applications. GTK bindings for PHP have been available for use to do that, same as those for Python/Perl/Ruby. Bringing assembly into the picture is irrelevant.!

That's your choice, and i do not care. What i am emphasizing here is a fact, that PHP can be used to do desktop applications. That's all. Whether its suitable or not is secondary, since people's choices are all subjective.
    Ok, I view it differently; he is (or we are) not looking for what is possible to do, but instead advice as to what is a good idea to do.

edit:
    I don't agree on the subjective part, this isn't "magic" or something like that, but that's sort of another philosophical discussion type thing ..
    Last edited by worseisworser; September 11th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Homepage | GitHub | Blog | Pay some of us a visit at #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why is it that any thread in this forum about a choice someone is trying to make ends up with pointless name calling.

Pack it in or I will close the thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    Why is it that any thread in this forum about a choice someone is trying to make ends up with pointless name calling.
    Because people here have too strong opinions... I guess... and we prefer to lose our time discussing pointless stuff here instead of learning new things, code useful things and discuss interesting pointful (does that word exist?) topics... *sigh*

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234