Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

Ok, there is a Windows XP version driver for your video. What I'm not sure about is exactly how to get it to you and install it without having a GUI. So, reviewing the thread I noticed that I don't think we got all the way through something: did you try creating the xorg.conf file and rebooting, and did this help in any way to at least get a GUI running?

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Help! Ubuntu 10.04 boots to command line!

Dave,
    I didn't. I was hoping there was another way. I'll go back and read that post and try to do exactly as it says. I'll let you guys know as soon as I've tried.

Beans
    Distro

Dave, Here's what you told me:

OP - forget using gedit as it is GUI based. Instead, do:

sudo nano /etc/xorg.conf

then type the lines in

Ctrl/O to save the file

Ctrl/X to exit nano

Exactly where do I do this? From the command line I get when attempting to start Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello Ranger_Joe, I had the same problem for a while and I think I know how to fix it for you:
    In the system specs you posted the following:
    Operating System Build (O/S) (build 7600), 64-bit
    meaning your computer is 64 bit. To get the graphics working you have to have the 64 bit version of Ubuntu as well. You can download this (if you have a download allowance limit greater than about 700 megabytes) or you might be able to find it in the magazine section of a big bookstore, although that is unlikely. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to get it

Beans
    Distro

Crazedpsyc, I can only hope that the solution is this easy. I downloaded the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and burned it to a disc. Then, I booted my computer with the disc in the tray and installed it.

This partitioned a third section on my hard drive. Now, when I boot my computer, I see WAAAAAAAY too many options, as I have a dead 32 bit Ubuntu, this new 64 bit Ubuntu, as well as Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Back to that in a second.

So I tried launching this new Ubuntu but it's doing the same thing. I suspect because it's getting confused and booting the 32 bit.

Here's what I need to know right now. How can I COMPLETELY uninstall both of them and un-partition my hard drive, so I can start ALL over with the 64 bit Ubuntu?

Basically, I want to restore my computer to exactly the way it was before I started all this so I can start over clean and fresh.

If you know, please tell me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ranger_Joe; October 6th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Use Win 7 disk management to delete and format the unwanted partitions.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro

Sorry Jtarin,
    I'm basically a newbie at tinkering with computers period. How exactly would I do that?

Also, will that make Window 7 boot automatically? Like will all the options at start go away?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_Joe View Post
    Sorry Jtarin,
    I'm basically a newbie at tinkering with computers period. How exactly would I do that?

Also, will that make Window 7 boot automatically? Like will all the options at start go away?
    No this action will not change the MBR of the disk from GRUB2 to Win7. You must use System Recovery. To access the System Recovery Environment in Windows 7, simply boot your PC,then from the Grub menu choose Windows and just before the system loads the Windows operating system, hit the [F8] Function 8 key on your keyboard which will launch the Advanced Boot Options menu. There you will see a new option 'Repair Your Computer', select this option and hit 'Enter' on your keyboard. Startup Repair - Automatically finds and fixes boot errors in the Windows Vista Startup Process (including corrupted Boot Configuration Data files).

To open Disk Management, open the Start menu of Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    In the search box type diskmgmt.msc, typing the command then the file will appear in the box, just click the file to open the tool.
    Wait for the loading of the service.
    With thatyou have now opened the Disk Management of Windows 7, which provides for basic actions on partitions as: Creating new partitions (pieces), delete partitions (pieces), resizing and other features.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro

Ok everyone, time out. Something pretty amazing just happened.

I pushed the power button on my computer and walked away to do some other things. When I got back, the Ubuntu GUI was loaded and everything was cool.

Now, I've been inside the GUI before as it loaded for me a few times in the very beginning, but I couldn't ever replicate it. So, to make sure it wasn't a freak occurrence, I powered down and did the same thing again.

It seems as though I have an issue when I select Ubuntu in the GRUB menu, instead of letting it automatically select itself at start. Make sense?

FYI: I believe my computer is running the 32 bit version right now.

Number one: I'd like to get people's thoughts on this. I want to believe so bad that I have this figured out. Could it really be that simple??

Number two: If this is going to continue to work, how can I COMPLETELY un-install the 64 bit version? Jtarin mentioned two approaches but I'm not sure which one I should do. Both?

Thanks to everyone for continuing to try and troubleshoot this problem! I love Sony products, especially my Vaio. But... if I'm stuck running Windows 7, it totally sucks. Ha ha ha.

BTW: I'm in Ubuntu right now and it rocks.
    Last edited by Ranger_Joe; October 7th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok everyone, I feel like an absolute idiot. I'll be changing my pic to one of Tim Tebow with "rookie" stamped across his forhead. It boots fine if I just let it. I'm so sorry for wasting everyone's time. Thanks everybody.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast