Thread: only root can mount

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

only root can mount

I have two additional internal drives. One is mounted in fstab (I'll call this the first drive), one is not. The one that is not in fstab, can be mounted/unmounted from "Places" in the GUI. But the one that is mounted from fstab doesn't work from "Places".

If I umount the first drive, and then try to mount it via "Places" I get the error "only root can mount".

Also... I've moved my /home to the first drive. It APPEARS that I can umount the first drive (it disappears from my desktop) yet /home is still available via Terminal. I CAN mount it again via terminal but it does not reappear on the desktop.

UUID=e0352916-43a0-431c-bb64-08a5f3182543 /media/data ext3 errors-remount-ro 0 0

So my questions...

1) Why won't the first drive reappear on the desktop when remounted from terminal?
    2) Why can't I remount the drive via "Places".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Re: only root can mount

Hi
    It has to do with permissions on the drive.
    When you do login as normal user, you lack certain permissions.

The drive is open to root account so will be visible to root only.
    Or if mounted via fstab for normal user, will be in read only mode.

Change the permissions on whole drive by
    sudo chmod -R u+rwx /drive and see if it solves the problem.
    Maverick | AMD 64 | HP dv9000 | Gnome
    "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

Beans
    Distro

Re: only root can mount

same results. I did...

sudo chmod -R u+rwx /media/data
    sudo umount /media/data

Result... I can't remount via "Places" - error "only root can mount"

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/data

Result... It mounts but does not display on desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just add "user" to the mount options of a drive in fstab, and the drive can then be mounted by normal users instead of root only.

Or "defaults" should work fine as well, I believe that includes the user option anyway.

like this:
    Code:
    UUID=e0352916-43a0-431c-bb64-08a5f3182543 /media/data ext3 user,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    Also... I've moved my /home to the first drive. It APPEARS that I can umount the first drive (it disappears from my desktop) yet /home is still available via Terminal.
    I must admit I didn't really understand this part. Of course /home is available from a terminal, you always have a home directory and that will be /home, regardless of what drive/partition it's physically located. OS even if you move your home directory to another drive, it will still appear as /home in the directory hierarchy.

Beans
    Distro

nope...

UUID=e0352916-43a0-431c-bd64-08a5f3182543 /media/data ext3 defaults,user,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Can't unmount unless I'm root.

Also tried it without "defaults", just added "user"... same result.

I thought you had it... but no. Any more ideas?

Oh and remember if I do unmount it as root, when I remount it, it does mount, but the icon doesn't show up. What's up with that?

sudo umount /media/data
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media
    Last edited by UncleBoarder; September 14th, 2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added

Beans
    Distro

The answer is the mount order...

mount a drive to /media... it shows on desktop, and can be unmounted/remounted

mount a drive to /media AND mount it to /mnt... still shows on desktop but can not be unmounted/remounted

mount a drive to /mnt AND mount it to /media... won't show on desktop

So, two mounts of the same drive must be mounted to /media first. And if you unmount it, you'll have to unmount the second mount and remount in the same order.

This might be true for mount --bind as well. I didn't test.