Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Die-Hard KDE User adopts Gnome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Die-Hard KDE User adopts Gnome

I have had ubuntu and Kubuntu side by side on all my computers for years.

KDE 4.0 on Intrepid was painful, but since Jaunty I have had few, if any, problems.

I use KDE 99% of the time, now.

KDE on Mandriva or OpenSuse (or others) may be a bit more stable (I haven't tired them), but the Ubuntu team works hard to integrate Gnome and KDE applications into the same repositories and to enable cross-platform compatibility. Is that being done in Mandriva or OpenSusE ?

I do use, even in KDE (Kubuntu) a lot of Gnome applications, so the cross-platform compatibility is important to me.

After reading this thread, I intend to play with LXDE further, since I have heard so many great things about it.

(However, I had heard a lot of great things about the Xubuntu desktop, Xfce, and that was a total dog.)

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

neverLikedKDECrew holla
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / E6750 @ 3.52GHz / Zalman 9500 / GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L / Mushkin Silver/Blackline 4GB DDR2800 / MSI 8600GT GPU / OCZ 120GB SSD / Antec P180B
    Ubuntu User 31267

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    KDE on Mandriva or OpenSuse (or others) may be a bit more stable (I haven't tired them), but the Ubuntu team works hard to integrate Gnome and KDE applications into the same repositories and to enable cross-platform compatibility. Is that being done in Mandriva or OpenSusE ?
    I think Mandriva has a Gnome offering, and I know openSUSE has a Gnome offering since that is what SLED (their corporate sponsor's enterprise desktop version) uses.

Plus the Gnome version is a bit like a Mono showcase since openSUSE and Mono are sponsored by Novell.

How well they cross-pollinate, I am not sure. I suspect it to be pretty good overall since there is a relatively healthy Gnome user base.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Long live KDE 3.5, the awesomest DE ever.

Beans

I was a die-hard KDE user about a year ago and switched back to Gnome about 6 months ago. Since then i've become bored of gnome and moved to openbox.

I tried KDE 4.5 recently and i was in shock at the amount of ram it chewed up on startup. 650MB! I remember 4.3 using 200MB on startup. I dunno what they've done, but i'm not going back to it with those figures. Kinda loving doing most things through the terminal now anyway, kinda inevitable being an arch user, damn influences!

Beans

I doubt the RAM usage really means anything.

Beans
    Hidden!

Tried KDE and didn't like Qt. At all. So I stick to the usual lightweight window manager + GTK apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I really like Enlightenment DR17, and gnome. I have them both installed ATM. I know DR17/E17 is still in development. I believe when its fully stabilized its use will pick up. Its very flashy, and yet faster than KDE. However until then I think only people like me will use it. I have KDE on my second HDD, and this computer is pretty fast. It just seems to have a lot of quirks IMHO. I of course use it from time to time. I think as long as everyone is happy with what they have. Its options like this that make Linux great! You can have one, you can have two, and if your really into it you could have them all. I don't think I am going to try that out though. I think two is enough on a single boot. I use gnome for 90% most of my work though. I like to get right down to the point.

I do use Kopete in Gnome though; since it will let me file transfer between 2 of my friends who are still using MS Fail, and AIM. It seems to be the only Linux messenger that does that well. I could be doing something wrong though with the others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I doubt the RAM usage really means anything.
    Yeah i know, it's more of an ocd for me now to keep my ram usage to a minimum. I know it makes no sense. But running KDE and a music player, browser and Eclipse would obliterate my ram. Until i upgrade in a few days anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

+1

I am a Mandriva refugee due to wireless problems on my new Dell lappy.

I was a die hard KDE user, but KDE4 is style over substance. So I run a bastardized collection of mainly KDE apps on a heavily modified Gnome base.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast