Thread: usb modem newbie help

Beans

usb modem newbie help

Hi guys I'm a complete newbie to linux i,m running ubuntu 10.04 and i cant connect with 3g modem.I've tried with vodafone and 3 ireland.THE SOFTWARE ICON IS ON SCREEN WITH BOTH MODEMS but when i try to run they cant find autorun files is there a comand to run these files their in media/3connect/autorun.exe.do i need permissions or something ?bear in mind im a complete novice at this any advice would be very much appreciated, mark

Beans

Re: usb modem newbie help

Why do you need to run the windows software? You should be able to set up a connection in network manager.
    There's no place like ~/

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

windows software doesn't run in Linux.

See if you can get the modem to work. If not, try searching the forums and the web for others with the same modem who may have it working.

Also check the vendor's website.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
    windows software doesn't run in Linux.

See if you can get the modem to work. If not, try searching the forums and the web for others with the same modem who may have it working.

Also check the vendor's website.
    Honestly, this is the type of issue that does not encourage ordinary people to use any flavour of Linux. I installed Ubuntu on my Samsung NC10 netbook, alongside Windows XP. Mobile broadband with USB Modems is commonplace - just look around everywhere and you see people using it. I have been struggling to get mine to work with Ubuntu. There is the "Network Connections" which allows me to set up the parameters under the "Mobile Broadband" tab. It recognises my device, but there is nothing to click to actually connect. Yes - you have a window that lets you enter the relevant parameters, but does not have a "Connect" button.

Then you search forums to see how to actually connect. You read contributors saying "it is easy". But how? Some go into lengthy geeky commands. Well, up till now, I am unable to use my USB Broadband modems (I have 4 of them, from 4 differentg service providers) with Ubuntu. Ubuntu needs to make such a thing extremely simple.

Beans

I have an example of my experiences with 2 different modems. You will need to know the correct APN for your mobile service as per the article below which works for any dongle that is recognised by Lucid, and that's most of them.

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/3...lucidlynx.html

It's MUCH easier than struggling with WImdows based dashboards, honest!
    United Kingdom. Ubuntu 10.4 LTS dual-boot with Win7 on Dell 1520 laptop. Vodafone UK Mobile broadband with E220 modem and Netgear MBR624GU router.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbol View Post
    Hi guys I'm a complete newbie to linux i,m running ubuntu 10.04 and i cant connect with 3g modem.I've tried with vodafone and 3 ireland.THE SOFTWARE ICON IS ON SCREEN WITH BOTH MODEMS but when i try to run they cant find autorun files is there a comand to run these files their in media/3connect/autorun.exe.do i need permissions or something ?bear in mind im a complete novice at this any advice would be very much appreciated, mark
    Please try restarting after connecting 3g stick and running network connections wizard/setup. I had a similar problem using my phone as modem and with a 3g USB stick (thought I had settings wrong). Restarting did the trick on both occasions. I'd suggest trying this 1st before getting into more complicated solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: usb modem newbie help

You need to install usb-modeswitch from synaptic, Do a google search for it and read up on it then install.

Good luck
    Life is hard but fair it's the people u gotta worry about.
    AthlonIIx4 3gigs nvidia 9400gt 1gig
    750 & 500 gig HDD SD card reader 2 cdrw/dvdrw wireless. 23inch hp 2310m.
    Laptop HP G61 15.6 3gig ram.

Beans

Some modems need modeswitch,and some don't. I have used E160x and k3570-z and they both worked without it. If the device appears in the mobile connection setup dropdown, they don't need it.
    United Kingdom. Ubuntu 10.4 LTS dual-boot with Win7 on Dell 1520 laptop. Vodafone UK Mobile broadband with E220 modem and Netgear MBR624GU router.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsawoseyin View Post
    Ubuntu needs to make such a thing extremely simple.
    Another way to look at it is that vendors need to support Linux. It's not the fault of the creators of Ubuntu, or any other distro, that vendors are lazy with support.