Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    I just updated the kernel to 2.6.32-24.43 and had to reboot and everything came up just fine. I didn't have to
    re-install the nVidia driver. I didn't have to do anything. Has anything changed or is it just when a new kernel is
    installed and not just updated. I did add that script, so that probably helped right?
    Thanks!

    PS I was wrong about seeing the 2.6.32.25 kernel coming in the future like I posted before. Guess it was just this update.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In A Big Pepsi Bottle
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    for installing the drivers i would just go to system/administration/hardware drivers, it's alot easier.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by soldier1st View Post
    for installing the drivers i would just go to system/administration/hardware drivers, it's alot easier.
    You would need to read this entire thread. The default best driver is version 185 and I installed 256.53 from nVidia...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    186

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    I prefer the closed source drivers as they seem to work better.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    If you want performance or features, the open source drivers cannot match the proprietary ones. The difference in performance is approx. by a factor of 8, wich means a high end graphics card like GTX 480 will perform lower than low-end graphics cards (like GT 240) with the proprietary drivers. To run a powerful graphics card with the open source drivers is a waste of money, and the open source drivers draw more power as well.

    Unless you are running a workstation where graphics performance does not matter or anything similar, I would recommend staying away from the open source drivers, speaking as a developer and gamer.
    homepage: efikkan.com
    Graphics programmer

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelinux33467 View Post
    I prefer the closed source drivers as they seem to work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by efikkan View Post
    If you want performance or features, the open source drivers cannot match the proprietary ones. The difference in performance is approx. by a factor of 8, wich means a high end graphics card like GTX 480 will perform lower than low-end graphics cards (like GT 240) with the proprietary drivers. To run a powerful graphics card with the open source drivers is a waste of money, and the open source drivers draw more power as well.

    Unless you are running a workstation where graphics performance does not matter or anything similar, I would recommend staying away from the open source drivers, speaking as a developer and gamer.
    Are you sure? How can version 185 be better than 256.53
    I haven't had any problems that I have noticed. How would I go about re-installing the closed source drivers - through Synaptic?
    Thanks!
    EDIT: I think I got confused and you are saying the later driver from nVidia is better right?
    Last edited by Cavsfan; September 20th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Beans
    300
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Just a thought: I have an nVidia Geforce 9800 GT 512MB and have always used the restricted driver which was version 185.
    The other day I installed version 256.53 (the absolute latest for Linux directly from Nvidia) and I have noticed much improvement.

    Here is the link for the driver pick the one that matches your card.
    And once you have downloaded the executable here are instructions on how to install it.
    Just start at step 2 as you already will have the driver.
    Note: Do not un-blacklist the files that it says to blacklist after you install the driver.
    If you read farther down the page, you will see that that will cause problems.

    I downloaded and installed the latest driver and it went flawlessly.
    Well thanks. I followed the instructions and I now have the 256.53 driver installed...

    Took all of 5 minutes of my time and I'm here and posting so I assume it's working.

    Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS amd64 user.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by barney385 View Post
    Well thanks. I followed the instructions and I now have the 256.53 driver installed...

    Took all of 5 minutes of my time and I'm here and posting so I assume it's working.


    Good! Open up nVidia X server settings and it will show the version.
    Make sure you follow the instructions starting on post #15 on page 2 of this thread.
    When a kernel is updated you have to reinstall the driver, but that can be setup
    automatically with the instructions psoulocybe provided. I didn't have any problem whatsoever
    when the kernel was updated a few days ago. I do notice a difference.
    I have Cairo-Dock and Compiz and when I open or close a window it burns and it looks fantastic!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Beans
    300
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Good! Open up nVidia X server settings and it will show the version.
    Make sure you follow the instructions starting on post #15 on page 2 of this thread.
    When a kernel is updated you have to reinstall the driver, but that can be setup
    automatically with the instructions psoulocybe provided. I didn't have any problem whatsoever
    when the kernel was updated a few days ago. I do notice a difference.
    I have Cairo-Dock and Compiz and when I open or close a window it burns and it looks fantastic!
    I added sdennie's(sp) script also for the automatic kernel build update. That does correct the issue from what I understand. I also made not of the symlink just in case I run into an X-org problem.

    I think that covers it?

    Where are the nvidia x-server settings?
    Last edited by barney385; September 20th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS amd64 user.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: nVidia closed source driver vs nouveau drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by barney385 View Post
    I added sdennie's(sp) script also for the automatic kernel build update. That does correct the issue from what I understand. I also made not of the symlink just in case I run into an X-org problem.

    I think that covers it?

    Where are the nvidia x-server settings?
    System > Administration > nvidia x-server settings
    But, I think when I updated my driver nvidia x-server settings went away.
    I got it back via System > Preferences > Main Menu. I found it there and put the check mark beside of it.
    But, today noticed that there was 2 and the one I added had a different icon, but did the same. I just
    removed from Main Menu and now have the original looking one.

    You should be good to go. I already had one kernel update and I didn't have to do a thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •