Thread: Random internet access

Beans

Random internet access

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on a MSI Wind U100 Netbook, and most of the time (say 9 times over 10), my computer can't connect to Internet, be it with an ethernet cable or wifi.

I have heard of similar problems with Ubuntu Karmic and kernel 2.6.27, but mine is 2.6.32, so I didn't try the solutions I've found across the web, fearing to break more than anything else.

What I can say is that before running Lucid, the netbook was running Hardy, and ethernet used to work fine whereas WiFi absolutely not (but I didn't try too hard to make it work).

Thanks by advance to anyone with a MSI Wind U100 and the same problem who could propose a solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Random internet access

i keep my info on another hard drive so i can tinker with Linux...learning means breaking it and reinstalling it...the more u tinker the more you learn but the more u need to reinstall...its part of the learning curve

as far as internet...i would try wcid and see if that helps wireless...then the answers u found on the web...some will break your machine but Ubuntu is free to download and reinstall as often as u need...look at it as a learning experience and you'll appreciate it more
    "If you were made king, who would replace you?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Random internet access

I had the same problem but my internet provider requires pppoe connection so I had to run 'sudo pppoeconf'

not sure that will help but it's what I had to do ...