Thread: Netgear 802.11b Wireless USB?

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Netgear 802.11b Wireless USB?

Is it possible to use a Netgear 11 Mbps 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter with Ubuntu 10.04, and if so, how?

Beans

Re: Netgear 802.11b Wireless USB?

Anything is possible, but it may require some perserverence in getting it working unless Netgear provides a driver for it. You can view a list of Netgear cards and adapters that have been tested with Ubuntu and their respective version. If you don't see your wireless card on there (USB 802.11b is a little too general) then you can plug it in and follow the Ubuntu Wireless Troubleshooting Guide and let us know if you have a problems.

Beans

Cool Re: Netgear 802.11b Wireless USB?

The trouble shoot guide seems to be more for wireless pci cards. Mine's connected though USB.

I found the model number, which is MA101
    hope thats enough info for you guys to help me

Beans

I do want to help. I want you to feel comfortable with Ubuntu and reap all the benefits of using this operating system versus other alternatives. I really, really want to help you and see you succeed, but it does require some effort on your part. The guide I provided gives you directions for getting your card operational, or at least getting you started. There are commands such as lshw -C network, lsusb, and lsmod that will help you determine if your card is recognized by Ubuntu, if you plugged it in and Ubuntu installed a driver for it, and how to associate your wireless card with an access point. Please look at that guide! If you don't have a familiarity with networking concepts then the terminology may not make sense - and that's fine, just ask for clarification. Here's a friendly example of how to get answers: http://is.gd/f1Qx7

As I said, we want you to get everything working but we do need a little effort on your part. Read the guide, go through the steps. We want you to succeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks MaindotC, that link answered my question perfectly!

(lol)