Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restore data from sata hd partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Restore data from sata hd partition

Quote Originally Posted by octohedra View Post
    Could you please help me to fix the 400gb swap partition?
    Boot up with the live CD and open System > Administration > Gparted. You'll see sda5 listed as linux-swap (or whatever the Spanish is). Right-click on it and choose 'swapoff'. The live CD will have mounted the swap partition automatically and you can't resize it until it's unmounted - which is what you do with swapoff.

Now highlight the swap partition again, go to the Partition menu and choose 'Resize/Move'. In 'New size' (the middle box), type in the size you want - the size of your RAM is a good guide, but if you have more than 4GB RAM, the system will probably never use it anyway, so anything more would be wasted. Make sure 'free space preceding' (the first box) still shows zero otherwise you'll move the partition. Click in the third box and the 'free space following will be calculated for you. Now click on the Resize/Move button. The window will close and to write those changes to the HD you need to click on Apply, which is the button in the shape of a green tick.

You'll now have up to 400GB of free space in your extended partition in which you can make as many logical partitions as you want. Had you any ideas what to do with them?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

did what you said, but after resizing the swap partition to 2gb, i cant resize the first one, i can make it smaller, but not bigger, its as if it doesnt see all the unallocated space...

what should i do?

Now it looks like this:

Device start/boot start end blocks Id system
    /dev/sda1 * 1 12158 97654784 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 12158 60802 390729729 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 12158 12413 2050590+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    Last edited by octohedra; September 4th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

OK, right, you didn't say you wanted to resize the first partition. The reason you can't add the unallocated space to partition 1 is that they are not contiguous - that mean physically continuous on the drive. What you'll have to do is to move the swap partition to the end, but that means moving the extended partition. Easier and quicker would be to remove the swap partition, resize sda1 and then create a new swap partition.

Here's what you do:

Backup any data you might need onto a separate drive. We're going to resize your Ubuntu root partition. This should work without incident but any manipulation of partitions runs the small risk of data loss.

Boot up the live CD and go into Gparted again. Do the swapoff trick with the swap partition. Now delete firstly sda5 and then sda2. Click on the green tick to write the changes to the disc. Highlight sda1 and choose Resize/Move from the Partition menu. Change the number in the 'new size' box so that it leaves the exact size you want the swap partition to be in the 'free space following' box. Click on the Resize/Move button and now click on the green arrow. You might as well go and do something else now because this might take a long time.

Once sda1 has been resized, click on the unallocated space and create a swap partition. If you only want the two partitions, you might as well make this a primary, rather than make an extended with a logical inside.

One comment though. One huge nearly 500GB root partition with a swap limits your flexibility for the future. Personally I like to set up a number of much smaller partitions so that I can try different distros or versions of Ubuntu in a multiboot and have a larger shared data partition.

Anyway, if you are happy with the simple two partition layout, there is one more job to do. Boot into your hard drive Ubuntu. You may get an error message because it can't find the old swap partition. Post the contents of your /etc/fstab file and the terminal output of:

Code:
    sudo blkid
    A simple edit of /etc/fstab should put things to right - I'll tell you what to do.

Edit: thinking about it, there is a simpler alternative. You could make a separate partition for data in the freed space. 100GB is huge for a Linux root partition if you have a separate data partition, but it might do for now. Particularly if you are like me and are likely to want to rearrange and reformat the whole drive occasionally. Tell me what you want to do and we'll take it from there.
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 4th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would like to go the easy way first, its my first time with ubuntu, im lovin it and im not thinking on installing windows again, so i would like to follow your advice and create many partitions in that free unallocated space.

what should i do? Can i do it with the disc utility without booting from the cd?

I also want to create another partition for ubuntu, as you said that 100gb its too much for a ubuntu root installation, maybe 30gb ?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

You can use Disk Utility but the partitioning tool is fairly basic. I'm not sure whether it can create logical partitions. It can certainly create primary partitions but unless you resize the extended you won't be able to create any primaries.

You can install Gparted to your hard drive to save booting up from the liveCD.

Since you've got a lot of questions about partitions it might be better if you read this guide first:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

Follow all the links and have a think about it before you do anything. Partitioning is a complex subject so it deserves some thinking time. I think you'll find that guide answers most of your questions.

Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks coffeecat, now my hdd looks like this:

looking good?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

It'll certainly give you some flexibility for the future. And it was a good idea of yours to label the partitions. That's very useful when you come to mount them or search for them in the Places menu. If there's a partition label the system uses it.

Interesting that the Spanish for label in this context is etiqueta. The English word etiquette has quite a different meaning. Or rather the French loan word etiquette has a different meaning in English. We have a lot of French loan words in English - ever since the Norman French invaded us in 1066. We've never forgiven them!

Edit: I've just looked in my French dictionary and the English translation for the French word etiquette is given as 'label'. I never knew that. Seems the word must have changed its meaning as it came across the English channel. Or 'La Manche' as they call it over there.
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 4th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i assume that your first thought was correct, as etiqueta literal translation is label, we dont use it like that in spanish, for example we say "Partition name" instead of "partition label", we use the word "Etiqueta" for things like this:

the white thing in the middle is the "Etiqueta", provides size and other info...

Personally i like english a lot more than spanish, i even think in english half of the time, its much easier, dynamic, flexible language than spanish, we have tons of dumb rules, and even letters that dont sound and still have to use them for writing, aswell as useless verb forms, useless rules for letter combinations, etc...
    Last edited by octohedra; September 5th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12