Thread: Digital Cameras, Older Computer using Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Digital Cameras, Older Computer using Koala

I know I posted before inquiring about digital camera usage and Ubuntu.

But that was when I was using Hardy Heron, still.

Now I have upgraded all the way to Koala. I noticed in the very first post I made about digital cameras and Ubuntu, someone mentioned using the cards that come with most cameras nowadays.

Thing is, my computer is old enough it does not have those media slots. Secondly, I am trying to save up for other things than a digital camera, and now need a relatively inexpensive camera that works out of the box with Koala, using just a USB cord. I am in no position to get a completely new tower just to have those media slots (about whose workings I am completely clueless).

Anyone got any ideas I can ponder?

Blessings,
    Kat ^.^
    "Without hope, you cannot start the day!"--Jon Anderson of YES.

Happiness is...a dependable internet connection!

Beans

Re: Digital Cameras, Older Computer using Koala

I have a little usb/SD card converter - just plug the memory card into the converter then use it as a usb stick (its about the same size). Works very well, quick, and cheep (I got mine free with a memory card).

Beans

Agreed, the USB memory card readers are ridiculously cheap on ebay. My dad even got one free at a trade show... It really keeps your options open when looking for a camera, although most now tend to emulate a USB stick when you plug them in.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans

Canon and nikon are good, stay away from brands you've never heard of, and cameras with stupidly high numbers of megapixels for the price. Go for a good lens over a high resolution any day.
    There's no place like ~/