Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Customize guest session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Customize guest session

This is just what I needed! Thanks to Gunnar Hjalmarsson and p-dh, you both have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When I try the install script I get "Couldn't find /usr/share/gdm/guest-session/guest-session-launch".
    I am using 12.04 Gnome with GDM.
    Ops sorry I didn't realise I needed to install the gdm-guest=session package first from here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise...t-session/0.27
    but doing so gives me
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gdm-guest-session:
    gdm (3.0.4-0ubuntu15) breaks gdm-guest-session and is installed.
    dpkg: error processing gdm-guest-session (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    so it refuses to install.
    Last edited by leona; December 26th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Kind Regards, Leona

Beans

Does anyone know if there is anything different I have to do to customize the guest account in ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10? I run a all ubuntu computer lab and only allow the guest account to the general public.

Beans

Re: Customize guest session: guest-session-prefs and guest-session-prefs-lightdm

Thanks! I've been using Ubuntu since 11.10 and just recently turned on the guest account because my wife's Windows machine died. My poor daughter spent several hours yesterday typing up study notes and they are all gone now because we didn't realize the guest account didn't save files permanently. Fortunately she's one of the smartest people I've ever met and will probably retain most of it just from typing the notes, but I still felt like I let her down not knowing about it. So thank you for your work on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Greetings all! It seems you all have been busy since the last time I checked this out. You've needed some new features. My question is this:

My current project with OSS in Education. I currently have 1 Open Source Public Access computer in our University Library. It is running Ubuntu 13.04 with a great deal of educational and productivity software on it. I was just having people login with the Guest account so no mater what they did it would go back to normal when they logged out.

I now want to set one up in our Music/Art/Education building along with a donated Yamaha MIDI keyboard with Piano Booster on it. With downloading MIDI files and playing them in Piano Booster, I didn't want them to use guest because I didn't want someone to have to download them all over again.

Should I just make a public access user and let anyone just download anything, along with MIDIs files to use on that system? Please advise on a setup. Thank you!

Beans

You can use this tarball setup given in the first post of this thread and advise the users to save the midi files in the /var/guest-data folder. You can even rename the folder to your liking, for instance /var/midi-files

You could also configure the pop-up dialog shown at the startup to inform users about that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gussug View Post
    does anyone know if i can access a nfs mounted directory from a guest session?
    Possibly that requires editing of the AppArmor profile. In Ubuntu 13.10 it's located at /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/lightdm, but if I recall it correctly, in Ubuntu 12.04 it was stored in some other file with "guest-session" in the file name.

Edit: I see now that I replied to this in September 2012. Sorry for the noise.
    Last edited by gunnarhj; December 9th, 2013 at 04:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elysithea View Post
    I could not get the tar for lightDM to work in 12.04
    Please note that the tar that fits 12.04 is guest-session-prefs-lightdm-0.12.tar.gz.

Edit: I see now that I replied to this in September 2012. Sorry for the noise.
    Last edited by gunnarhj; December 9th, 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As noted in the edited first post, this tutorial is now deprecated and has been replaced by the CustomizeGuestSession page on the Community Help Wiki. If you need help with this, please post in a support section of the forum.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345