Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 AMD on I86

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 AMD on I86

I installed the Ubuntu 10.04 for AMD on my i86-64 bit machine due to a confusion. I was curious if that would create an issue for me. Further is there a way that I may move to the i86 version.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 AMD on I86

Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64 is the 64-bit version. It will work on regular Intel and AMD 64-bit chips. It will not work on Intel IA64 server machines, which it looks like you do not have, You should be fine. The x86 is a 32-bit version. It will also run fine on your computer, but will not be able to access more than 4 GB of RAM.
    - Silverglade00

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silverglade00 View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64 is the 64-bit version. It will work on regular Intel and AMD 64-bit chips. It will not work on Intel IA64 server machines, which it looks like you do not have, You should be fine. The x86 is a 32-bit version. It will also run fine on your computer, but will not be able to access more than 4 GB of RAM.
    Is there a way I can move to the x86 version of it ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silverglade00 View Post
    What they said. If you installed the AMD64 version (which means it works) then just keep using it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linux_game View Post
    Is there a way I can move to the x86 version of it ?
    Only way to go from 64-bit (amd64) to 32-bit (x86, i686) or the other way around is to reinstall with the other version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The name "AMD64" does NOT mean it is made for AMD processors only, it is just a name, you can call it x86-64 as well, read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

The reason it's referred as "AMD64" is because Advanced Micro Devices (the company) developed the 64bit instructions set of the x86 architecture and they named it AMD64; but as it is an extension of x86 its proper name (imho) is x86-64 there's a debate about it on ubuntu developing forums (don't have the link at hand) and it seems they're going to change the name to x86-64 on the downloads and front page of Ubuntu.com and ubuntulinux.org, hopefully it will end this -rather silly- confusion.

IA-64 basically means "Itanium" as it's the only processor I know to use this Intel architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darolu View Post
    The name "AMD64" does NOT mean it is made for AMD processors only, it is just a name, you can call it x86-64 as well, read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

The reason it's referred as "AMD64" is because Advanced Micro Devices (the company) developed the 64bit instructions set of the x86 architecture and they named it AMD64; but as it is an extension of x86 its proper name (imho) is x86-64 there's a debate about it on ubuntu developing forums (don't have the link at hand) and it seems they're going to change the name to x86-64 on the downloads and front page of Ubuntu.com and ubuntulinux.org, hopefully it will end this -rather silly- confusion.

IA-64 basically means "Itanium" as it's the only processor I know to use this Intel architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium

Thanks for the clarification