Thread: locked out of nautilus & system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face locked out of nautilus & system

Greetings-

Dual boot sys with ubuntu lucid lynx 10.04 on Windows 7 host.

I created a dot directory (.rams) yesterday and decided to do a chmod on it. Stupidly,(you can call me a moron) I used the asterisk as a shortcut notation and in effect chmod-ed all the dirs starting with a dot. So when I tried to login, this AM,an error mesg appeared that advised me to change the permissions but I could not get into a console or the desktop. After trying several things on Windows, I simply moved the exisitng ubuntu install into another folder, ran uninstall and re-installed.

But is there any way that I can access the sys to undo my stupidity? I have a ton of docs on this install.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: locked out of nautilus & system

Boot with the Live CD. Mount the partition where your . (dot) folders exist and reverse the chmod.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks. I tried that but couldn't . I think its because grub?? was seeing an already existing install of ubuntu. The cd was recognized only after I did the uninstall. And that was from Windows. I will try again.

Regards

Beans

Just choose recovery mode from grub and log in from there. Although if you uninstalled, you've probably really destroyed it by now.