Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 Single Speaker output from 5.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu 12.10 Single Speaker output from 5.1

Hi folks,

I've looked around online and haven't found any solutions to this, I was hoping the community could lend a hand.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 x64 with the hopes of ditching Windows 7 as my HTPC. Everything is working correctly except for the sound. My sound card is an Envy24PT/HT (VT1720/24). When I go to the sound settings in Ubuntu, my choices are:
    HDMI / DisplayPort 2
    Speakers (build-in audio)
    Digital Output (S/PDIF)
    Analog Output / No Amplifier VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT]
    Analog Output / Amplifier VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT]

I have 5 speakers and a subwoofer setup (5.1). No matter if I select Analog Stereo Output or Analog Surround 5.1 Output, only the front-right speaker works on the test. Oddly enough, when I play music through Clementine, I can hear the subwoofer as well.

I checked alsamixer and selected the right sound card (Chaintech AV-710) and ensured that it is not muted (Master, PCM, Surround, Center and LFE are all unmuted).

Please let me know what other information you need to troubleshoot this. I would prefer to not use audio from my HDMI as I would like to use that solely for video.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Single Speaker output from 5.1

I have some further feedback. In XBMC I have sound from the front-left and front-right speakers. This is bizarre; any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Single Speaker output from 5.1

Okay nevermind, the issue appears to be faulty cables.