Thread: Starting Programs to VNC instance from command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Starting Programs to VNC instance from command line

I have a headless virtual machine that I intend to use as a browsershots screenshot factory. I'd like to install as many browsers as possible, but I've come across some weird errors that prevent me from using some of the more popular ones.

I know that to launch a program in a VNC instance, you use the --display=:# format. Some programs do not abide by that. How do I launch them?

The biggest example of this is arora, which continues to state "Cannot connect to X server" regardless of what parameters I put in the command line.

The other large issue I am coming across with Chrome and Opera is the error Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display how do I fix this error?
    Toshiba M55-S3152 running Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Starting Programs to VNC instance from command line

are you using desktop sharing (remote desktop/vino) or did you install a full vnc instance for multiple sessions?

you may want to try running this first to check your current display:
    Code:
    echo $DISPLAY
    this page may give you some better examples and options for specifying your display parameter. http://www.notesbit.com/index.php/sc...able-on-linux/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Starting Programs to VNC instance from command line

To clarify, I'm accessing this machine completely remotely. It does not have a desktop environment installed and all my interactions with it are through SSH. That being said, I have tightvncserver installed so that I can run certain programs through a virtual display.

The problem is that the syntax I have been using (I.E):

$firefox --display=:1

Which would put firefox up on VNC display 1, does not work for some programs, such as arora.
    Toshiba M55-S3152 running Karmic Koala