Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Beans
    83
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

    Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Will linux ever be an operating system suitable for gaming. I know there are some available already, but until big games development companies start supporting linux there will never be a good range of cutting edge games. With the development of directx10 and the ease and power of its API programming interface, will opengl be able to keep up as a development tool in the big development firms? I am curious to know what others think. I personally believe linux is moving further away from being a games platform but hope this is not the case.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Massachusets, USA
    Beans
    44

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Personaly, I think the Linux operating system is very advanced in regards to gaming, you can even run many non native games under WINE or Cedega. I don't think it's advanced as windows, yet. I think we have to get Direct 3D running under linux or something.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    25

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tiger
    Will linux ever be an operating system suitable for gaming.
    And here I am thinking all the time it already was suitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tiger
    I know there are some available already, but until big games development companies start supporting linux there will never be a good range of cutting edge games.
    That's true. If nobody makes games, there are non. This doesn't have anything to do with how suitable the platform is though.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tiger
    With the development of directx10 and the ease and power of its API programming interface, will opengl be able to keep up as a development tool in the big development firms?
    I sure hope so and please cue the marketing babble about the ease and power blah blah.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tiger
    I am curious to know what others think. I personally believe linux is moving further away from being a games platform but hope this is not the case.
    I don't really think though. The main thing holding Linux back as a games platform is simply market share, or lack thereof in the markets relevant for the faming industry. Whether the situation in these markets will get better and if so, how long it will take, I don't have a clue frankly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    25
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    I use Ubuntu on my PC, and I've been trying to run Wine and Cedega and all that for a while now, it can't even handle older titles like the first Deus Ex without serious problems and tweaks, and I've never seen a real game for linux, just crappy clones of games so old and so basic that they've become a project in high school visual basic classes. Windows doesn't need to move ahead, linux isn't even in the race. With that said, Linux is generally ahead of windows for every other task. You'd be better off with an installation of Ubuntu on your home PC and then just picking up a game console.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    25

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHodges
    ... I've never seen a real game for linux, just crappy clones of games so old and so basic that they've become a project in high school visual basic classes.
    You don't consider Doom3 and the Quake series real games?
    Amazing.

    I agree with you though that Linux certainly isn't the ideal platform for hardcore gamers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Beans
    1,274

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by helpme
    You don't consider Doom3 and the Quake series real games?
    Amazing.
    And UT04, which is my favourite example of a Linux Game Port Done Right.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    i used to play americas army all the time on my linux box before my computer broke down... 8)

    also there are some really nice small games for linux when you have a minute or two to spare...

    then again i'm no gamer... a gamer choosing linux for platform is asking for trouble

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    247
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHodges
    I use Ubuntu on my PC, and I've been trying to run Wine and Cedega and all that for a while now, it can't even handle older titles like the first Deus Ex without serious problems and tweaks, and I've never seen a real game for linux, just crappy clones of games so old and so basic that they've become a project in high school visual basic classes. Windows doesn't need to move ahead, linux isn't even in the race. With that said, Linux is generally ahead of windows for every other task. You'd be better off with an installation of Ubuntu on your home PC and then just picking up a game console.
    Agree 100%

    And it isn't that Linux is not a 'suitable' environment for game development. OpenGL takes care of all that, but it's just that game developers aren't interested because Linux does not have a large enough market share yet. OSX has the same problem. although not as severe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Planet NoVA
    Beans
    2,091
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Is anyone else irked by the notion that gaming == FPS ?

    Linux is a capable FPS platform: Doom, Quake, UT4. Fine. But nobody seems to be developing non-FPS, linux-native games.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    25

    Re: Windows is moving further ahead than linux for gaming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    Is anyone else irked by the notion that gaming == FPS ?

    Linux is a capable FPS platform: Doom, Quake, UT4. Fine. But nobody seems to be developing non-FPS, linux-native games.
    I think what these FPS games show is that linux is technically a capable gaming platform.
    The reason why there aren't so many other games is due to Linux market share in the relevant markets I'd guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •