Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: acer Aspire Touchpad issue

Beans

Unhappy acer Aspire Touchpad issue

Hi all!

This has been a problem for lots of people on many different threads, most of the threads end with "have you tried pressing Fn F7?", whereby the user says no, and the thread closes. This was the first thing I tried, and then I hit the forums and no answers were available.

I installed the Netbook Remix of Ubuntu 10.04 yesterday on my acer aspire one, and my touch pad doesn't work. USB mice work, and the pad is also visible in /proc/bus/input/device - I tried bypassing the shortcut key with modprobe -r psmouse && modprobe psmouse to see if it was the button that wasn't working, but I figured it was because the icon appears on screen when it is pushed.
    I also thought it might be the actual pad that is damaged, but the two buttons either side of the pad are also unresponsive.
    Dmessage | grep synaptics shows the following:

8.128273] Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 7.2, id: 0x1c0b1, caps: 0xd04771/0xa40000
    [ 8.222385] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio2/input/input9

Another point that might be worth mentioning is that when X loads, for literally a split second the touch pad is active - initially I thought this was because I knocked the USB mouse, but I unplugged it and it still happened.

There is also an entry in the Xorg.0.log file that says:
    (II) config/udev: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad (/dev/input/mouse2)
    (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)

Can anyone help with this matter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: acer Aspire Touchpad issue

I'm having the same problems here with my Acer One zg5

at some point the mouse focus and click stops working.

the keyboard tab is the only solution for reaching some buttons.

i succeed to pass that by removing some accessibility feature as I read on some forum but i don't think that is a solution

Beans

Aye - I've checked through the accessibility options but none of them solve this.... are there any guru's out there who can send some wizardry this way??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

there is an feature in the accessibility options somewhere it says that when you type text to disable the touchpad so somehow I believe the bug comes from there.

for example some times you can enabled back the touchpad by using the Fn+F7 function,

or the method I was talking the the previous post was made using mousetweaks somehow disable or enabling something in accessibility I really don't remember how... but anyway that wasn't a very good solution because an the restart you had to repeat the process.

in conclusion:
    i really recommend you to try the fn+f7 function when that happens again to see if that works for you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

... ah yes .... you just have to write in console
    Code:
    # mousetweaks
    an alert will appear something that says to log out, ... you click log out and login back again

and after that the mouse clicks and focus should work until next restart when you have to repeat the process .... but

that's not a solution....

as i said in the previous post,... try fn+f7

Beans

No luck I'm afraid - mousetweaks did nothing, nor did disabling typing disable or pressing Fn F7. Maybe I should log this bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In this case I suppose you can submit this bug.

good luck
    Last edited by zmoky; September 2nd, 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just bought a new Acer Aspire One D255 and am disappointed I can't get this working. The trackpad is hyper sensitive and seems to click at random, even when I managed to get to the Mouse settings and disable clicks on the trackpad. I plugged in a USB mouse and the pointer moves normally but it doesn't click. I tried mousetweaks from the terminal but it didn't change anything. I tried slowing down the mouse pointer settings to the minimum and that didn't slow it down at all either.

Have any other fixes been found? Is it fixed in the current RC of 10.10? Or at the very least will it work if I buy a new USB mouse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've noticed that the touchpad has the same behavior in windows 7 also. So my opinion is that the touchpad has a driver problem, which possibility it has been propagated to linux platforms also.

So my sugestion is to search and complie a more stable and new synaptic touchpad driver which may improve the functionality.

I haven't tried this yet because I solved the touchpad problem by using a usb mouse which works great in windows 7 (but windows 7 works slowly in my acer ).

I will install ubuntu again on the netbook and try the above but later when I will have more time, or when I hope that the driver will be updated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it works great now after a BIOS update . no more touch pad problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast