Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ugly Ants of DOOM!

Beans

The Ugly Ants of DOOM!

If you have ever used Photoshop, I'm sure that you are familiar with the marching ants that mark a selection. Well, I'm sure that you also are familiar with the non-marching ants that mark an ugly interface; they're all over Ubuntu. They're on the desktop. They're in our favorite applications. And they're ugly as hell. I always find myself clicking on an empty area of the desktop after deleting or unmounting something, just to get rid of the ugly ants of doom. Is anyone else annoyed by this? Does anyone have a fix? So far, I've found that Nautilus, Gwibber, and Miro are affected, though there are probably many more applications, especially ones that load web pages or HTML.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: The Ugly Ants of DOOM!

Not sure which ants you mean.... I once had the lines left behind by moved/deleted icons on 10.04 the first week it was launched but my ATI drivers were all messed up. Not had them since I sorted it out. Can you provide a little more specific description or a link to a screenshot so we can take a look?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gvernold View Post
    Not sure which ants you mean.... I once had the lines left behind by moved/deleted icons on 10.04 the first week it was launched but my ATI drivers were all messed up. Not had them since I sorted it out. Can you provide a little more specific description or a link to a screenshot so we can take a look?
    They're attached to my original post.

Beans

Open up Firefox and drag a link, then let go. See the ugly border? Create a new folder on your desktop, then delete it. See the ugly border around one of your formerly beautiful Faenza icons?
    Last edited by Joseph Schwenker; September 1st, 2010 at 02:40 AM.

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, I don't know exactly how I got it that way, but the border I get in such situations is solid, rather than "ants". So there is hope, you can, somehow, get rid of the ants. I just don't remember how I did it because I wasn't really trying to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrase View Post
    Well, I don't know exactly how I got it that way, but the border I get in such situations is solid, rather than "ants". So there is hope, you can, somehow, get rid of the ants. I just don't remember how I did it because I wasn't really trying to.
    Actually, I was aiming for a way to not have any kind of ants or selection whatsoever. There should only be an indication of any kind of selection when you select something. When I eject a drive, I selected nothing, and yet I get the ants on a random object.

Beans

You can get rid of them on webpages by adding the following CSS code:

Code:
    a:focus {
    	outline: 0px;
    }
    If you use Firefox, you can add that code to any webpage with greasemonkey, using
    Code:
    GM_addStyle("a:focus { outline: 0px; }");
    As for getting rid of it on your desktop, I can't help with that.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Schwenker View Post
    If you have ever used Photoshop, I'm sure that you are familiar with the marching ants that mark a selection. Well, I'm sure that you also are familiar with the non-marching ants that mark an ugly interface; they're all over Ubuntu. They're on the desktop. They're in our favorite applications. And they're ugly as hell. I always find myself clicking on an empty area of the desktop after deleting or unmounting something, just to get rid of the ugly ants of doom. Is anyone else annoyed by this? Does anyone have a fix? So far, I've found that Nautilus, Gwibber, and Miro are affected, though there are probably many more applications, especially ones that load web pages or HTML.
    Don't take this the wrong way but don't you think you're being a tad anal? All the "ants of doom" do is simply remind you that you clicked on something. There might be a way to change it within Ubuntu itself but I don't see how.
    Ubuntu unleashed

If you're unsure what a command does then type
    Code:
    man command

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by absolutezero1287 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but don't you think you're being a tad anal? All the "ants of doom" do is simply remind you that you clicked on something. There might be a way to change it within Ubuntu itself but I don't see how.
    Actually, it's not, as I stated in my original post. When I delete a folder or eject a drive, I clicked on nothing, and yet some random folder is always uglified. If the ants are meant to remind me that I clicked on something, then why are they so ugly?!
    Why do I even need to know that I clicked on something, anyway? This behavior is virtually non-existent in Chrome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast