Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After Lucid installation, my puter won't boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: After Lucid installation, my puter won't boot.

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Try this, if you're willing to wipe the disk:

1. Boot an Ubuntu installer or an emergency disc, like Parted Magic or System Rescue CD. If using an Ubuntu installer, boot it into a recovery mode so that you can get a shell rather than booting straight into the installer.
    2. Launch a text-mode shell.
    3. If you're using an Ubuntu installer, type "sudo apt-get install gdisk" to obtain and install GPT fdisk (gdisk).
    4. Type "sudo gdisk /dev/sda" (you can omit "sudo" on some emergency disks).
    5. Type "o" and answer "y" to the verification prompt to create a fresh partition table. Note that this will wipe out all your existing partitions.
    6. Type "n" to create a new partition. Give values of: partition #1, start sector 2048, end sector +1M, hex code of EF02. This creates the BIOS Boot Partition.
    7. Type "n" to create another new partition. Give values of: partition #2, hit enter for the default start sector, end sector +20G (or however big you want the Ubuntu main installation to be, minus space for your user files), hex code of 0700 (the default). This creates what will be the Linux root (/) partition.
    8. Type "n" to create another new partition. Give values of: partition #3, hit enter for the default start sector, end sector +2G (or however big you want to make your swap space), hex code of 8200. This creates a Linux swap partition.
    9. Type "n" to create another new partition. Give values of: partition #4, hit enter for the default start sector, hit enter for the default end sector (to use the whole disk), hex code 0700 (the default). This creates what will be the Linux /home partition. If you want other partitions, you should set some other end value and create additional partitions at this point.
    10. Type "p" to review your partition table. It should have an EF02 BIOS Boot Partition, two Linux/Windows data partitions, and a Linux swap partition. If it doesn't, correct the problems or quit by typing "q" and start again.
    11. Type "w" to save the partition table.
    12. If necessary, reboot into the Ubuntu installer; or just launch the installation process. When you get to the disk partitioning section, tell the system to do custom partitioning, but do not start from scratch. Instead, tell it to use /dev/sda2 as root (/), /dev/sda3 as swap, and /dev/sda4 as /home. (Adjust these partition IDs as necessary, if you deviated from the numbers I specified earlier.) The installer will create new filesystems or swap space on these partitions. You should not tell the installer to do anything with /dev/sda1; when the system installs GRUB, the GRUB installer should use /dev/sda1 automatically.
    13. Continue with the installation.

It's possible to use GNU Parted or GParted instead of GPT fdisk in the preceding procedure. It may be possible to use the installer's disk partitioner, too, but I'm not positive of that. I just specified GPT fdisk because I'm more familiar with its syntax and I didn't want to experiment with other tools to write this reply.
    God bless you, I am totally willing to wipe the disk and start over, and I will let you know how it goes in a few hours.
    Registered Linux User #479009
    Friend-->Linux; 6 and counting...

Beans

I'd like to also refer back to a previously-mentioned issue: If you follow my procedure and successfully install Ubuntu but still have problems, you may need to set the active/bootable flag on the GPT protective partition in the MBR. To do this:

1. Boot an emergency disc, such as Parted Magic or System Rescue CD.
    2. Launch a shell.
    3. Type "fdisk /dev/sda".
    4. Type "p" to view the MBR partition table. It should show one partition, with "ee" in the "Id" column. This is normal, even though you created several GPT partitions.
    5. Type "a" and enter "1" (or whatever the partition number is) when prompted.
    6. Type "p" again. You should now see an "*" under the "Boot" column.
    7. Type "w" to save the changes.
    8. Remove the emergency CD and reboot. You should not need to re-install.

These steps are only necessary with some buggy BIOSes. Some Intel BIOSes are known to be buggy and require this workaround.

Beans
    Distro

Here's where I'm at:

I'm in a LiveCD session at step 3. You can't use aptitude to download and install gdisk, so I used this link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptf...6.deb/download

And grabbed gdisk.

Here's my output so far:

Code:
    To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
    See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install gdisk
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package gdisk
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd /home
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/home$ ls
    ubuntu
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/home$ cd ..
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ ls
    bin   cdrom  etc   initrd.img  media  opt   rofs  sbin     srv  tmp  var
    boot  dev    home  lib         mnt    proc  root  selinux  sys  usr  vmlinuz
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ cd home/
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/home$ ls
    ubuntu
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/home$ cd ubuntu/
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls
    Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd Documents/
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Documents$ ls
    gdisk_0.6.10-1_i386.deb
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Documents$ sudo dpkg -i gdisk_0.6.10-1_i386.deb 
    Selecting previously deselected package gdisk.
    (Reading database ... 74902 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking gdisk (from gdisk_0.6.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up gdisk (0.6.10-1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Documents$ ^C
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Documents$
    I'm recording what's going on not only for posterity, but because I can access this thread no matter what system I'm on.

Beans
    Distro

And here's the output as I'm redoing the partitions in gdisk:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Documents$ sudo gdisk /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.10

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): o
    This option deletes all partitions and creates a new protective MBR.
    Proceed? (Y/N): y

Command (? for help): n
    Partition number (1-128, default 1): 1
    First sector (34-3907029134, default = 34) or {+-}size{KMGT}: 2048
    Last sector (2048-3907029134, default = 3907029134) or {+-}size{KMGT}: +1M
    Current type is 'Linux/Windows data'
    Hex code (L to show codes, 0 to enter raw code, Enter = 0700): EF02
    Changed type of partition to 'BIOS boot partition'

Partition number (2-128, default 2): 2
    First sector (34-3907029134, default = 4096) or {+-}size{KMGT}:    
    Last sector (4096-3907029134, default = 3907029134) or {+-}size{KMGT}: +20G
    Hex code (L to show codes, 0 to enter raw code, Enter = 0700): 0700
    Changed type of partition to 'Linux/Windows data'

Partition number (3-128, default 3): 3
    First sector (34-3907029134, default = 41947136) or {+-}size{KMGT}: 
    Last sector (41947136-3907029134, default = 3907029134) or {+-}size{KMGT}: +8G
    Hex code (L to show codes, 0 to enter raw code, Enter = 0700): 8200
    Changed type of partition to 'Linux swap'

Partition number (4-128, default 4): 4
    First sector (34-3907029134, default = 58724352) or {+-}size{KMGT}: 
    Last sector (58724352-3907029134, default = 3907029134) or {+-}size{KMGT}: +10G 

Partition number (5-128, default 5): 5
    First sector (34-3907029134, default = 79695872) or {+-}size{KMGT}: 
    Last sector (79695872-3907029134, default = 3907029134) or {+-}size{KMGT}: 

Command (? for help): p
    Disk /dev/sda: 3907029168 sectors, 1.8 TiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 37136C9B-9A93-4983-A624-6A1EAF0819C0
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 3907029134
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048            4095   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot partition
       2            4096        41947135   20.0 GiB    0700  Linux/Windows data
       3        41947136        58724351   8.0 GiB     8200  Linux swap
       4        58724352        79695871   10.0 GiB    0700  Linux/Windows data
       5        79695872      3907029134   1.8 TiB     0700  Linux/Windows data

Command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
    PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed, possibly destroying your data? (Y/N): y
    OK; writing new GUID partition table (GPT).
    Warning: The kernel is still using the old partition table.
    The new table will be used at the next reboot.
    The operation has completed successfully.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Documents$

Beans

Your gdisk "p" output looks reasonable, provided you have a reason for creating one more partition than I suggested. (I'm guessing /dev/sda5 will become /home and /dev/sda4 will be used for something else.)

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much!

I did indeed have to reboot with the LiveCD to flag the boot partition, and I received warnings for doing so--but it booted fine.

I really appreciate it!

Beans

I'd like to also refer back to a previously-mentioned issue: If you follow my procedure and successfully install Ubuntu but still have problems, you may need to set the active/bootable flag on the GPT protective partition in the MBR. To do this:

1. Boot an emergency disc, such as Parted Magic or System Rescue CD.
    2. Launch a shell.
    3. Type "fdisk /dev/sda".
    4. Type "p" to view the MBR partition table. It should show one partition, with "ee" in the "Id" column. This is normal, even though you created several GPT partitions.
    5. Type "a" and enter "1" (or whatever the partition number is) when prompted.
    6. Type "p" again. You should now see an "*" under the "Boot" column.
    7. Type "w" to save the changes.
    8. Remove the emergency CD and reboot. You should not need to re-install.

These steps are only necessary with some buggy BIOSes. Some Intel BIOSes are known to be buggy and require this workaround.
    Hi there

I am having this same problem (Intel MoBo, or should I say MoFo?) WD Green 2TB drive.

I printed & check listed every step you describe here, and I CANNOT get this POS booted up. I have googled for days, and re-installed at least 10 times, and cannot crack this puppy. I am using the latest SystemRescue CD to follow the steps.

In the above instructions at step 3, I assume that you mean gdisk /dev/sda, rather than fdisk? When I try fdisk, I get an error that fdisk doesn't support GPT.

Also, at step 5, where you state to enter 'a' - that is not an option in gdisk on SystemRescue. When I try GParted from GUI, I can flag sda1 as either bios-grub or boot, but not both.

Also, should I be starting the disk clean with MS-DOS, or GPT (create partition table advanced feature in GParted)

I am feeling very disappointed/frustrated that I should have to jump through hoops like this when Ubuntu is supposedly very current. 2TB drives are now selling under $120cdn, and will soon be given away as the prize in cereal boxes. I want to stick with Debian/Ubu, but this project isn't for the fun of it; I need this box for NAS very soon.

thanks
    Ken

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kjurkic View Post
    Hi there

I am having this same problem (Intel MoBo, or should I say MoFo?) WD Green 2TB drive.

I printed & check listed every step you describe here, and I CANNOT get this POS booted up. I have googled for days, and re-installed at least 10 times, and cannot crack this puppy. I am using the latest SystemRescue CD to follow the steps.

In the above instructions at step 3, I assume that you mean gdisk /dev/sda, rather than fdisk? When I try fdisk, I get an error that fdisk doesn't support GPT.

Also, at step 5, where you state to enter 'a' - that is not an option in gdisk on SystemRescue. When I try GParted from GUI, I can flag sda1 as either bios-grub or boot, but not both.

Also, should I be starting the disk clean with MS-DOS, or GPT (create partition table advanced feature in GParted)

I am feeling very disappointed/frustrated that I should have to jump through hoops like this when Ubuntu is supposedly very current. 2TB drives are now selling under $120cdn, and will soon be given away as the prize in cereal boxes. I want to stick with Debian/Ubu, but this project isn't for the fun of it; I need this box for NAS very soon.

thanks
    Ken
    Hi, Ken!

Fortunately, I just posted a blog post with detailed instructions on how I did each of these things.

http://thecowgirlcoder.com/2010/09/2...legacy-part-2/

Try there! Ask me questions in the comments, and I'll respond there so I can help everyone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjurkic View Post
    No, I really did mean fdisk. The other issues you report are a result of your using gdisk rather than fdisk. The root cause of the problem is that, for reasons unknown, Intel decided that its BIOS should check the MBR partition table for a bootable/active partition. If the disk is GPT and strictly follows the GPT spec, there will be no such partition, so the BIOS refuses to load the boot loader from the MBR. The workaround is to modify the MBR's partition table so that the only "partition" it contains (the GPT protective partition) is marked as bootable. The tool that's best suited to do this is fdisk.

Don't worry; fdisk won't trash the GPT data structures. You're just using it to modify the protective MBR, which it can safely do in this specific circumstance. (You don't want to make a habit of using fdisk on GPT disks, of course, but for this specific task, it'll do the job.)

Beans

No, I really did mean fdisk. The other issues you report are a result of your using gdisk rather than fdisk. The root cause of the problem is that, for reasons unknown, Intel decided that its BIOS should check the MBR partition table for a bootable/active partition. If the disk is GPT and strictly follows the GPT spec, there will be no such partition, so the BIOS refuses to load the boot loader from the MBR. The workaround is to modify the MBR's partition table so that the only "partition" it contains (the GPT protective partition) is marked as bootable. The tool that's best suited to do this is fdisk.

Don't worry; fdisk won't trash the GPT data structures. You're just using it to modify the protective MBR, which it can safely do in this specific circumstance. (You don't want to make a habit of using fdisk on GPT disks, of course, but for this specific task, it'll do the job.)
    Ok, so I am back to sq01...but I still have the issue with fdisk not wanting to play with GPT (at least the fdisk packaged with SystemRescue)

So I will wipe the device & create a GPT config. When I check it with gdisk, it should show:
    Partition table scan:
    MBR: protective
    BSD: not present
    APM: not present
    GPT: present

Then I can create the partitions. Then I can install Lucid - there should be no formatting or mounting for sda1, and it should only be the 1MB in size, correct?

/ = dev/sda2. format ext4
    swap = /dev/sda3
    whatevermountpoint = /dev/sda4, format ext4

After that if I understand the earlier instructions, I SHOULD NOT have to specify a location for /boot?

If I examine the partitions in gparted, should /dev/sda1 be flagged bios_grub or boot?

Thanks for the help; I am getting pretty burned out on this project.

regards
    Ken

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast