Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: After Lucid installation, my puter won't boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: After Lucid installation, my puter won't boot.

Quote Originally Posted by kjurkic View Post
    Ok, so I am back to sq01...but I still have the issue with fdisk not wanting to play with GPT (at least the fdisk packaged with SystemRescue)

So I will wipe the device & create a GPT config. When I check it with gdisk, it should show:
    Partition table scan:
    MBR: protective
    BSD: not present
    APM: not present
    GPT: present

Then I can create the partitions. Then I can install Lucid - there should be no formatting or mounting for sda1, and it should only be the 1MB in size, correct?

/ = dev/sda2. format ext4
    swap = /dev/sda3
    whatevermountpoint = /dev/sda4, format ext4

After that if I understand the earlier instructions, I SHOULD NOT have to specify a location for /boot?

If I examine the partitions in gparted, should /dev/sda1 be flagged bios_grub or boot?

Thanks for the help; I am getting pretty burned out on this project.

regards
    Ken
    If you're installing Lucid, why not try it as a live disk first instead of using SystemRescue? I know for a fact that the fdisk packaged with Lucid works perfectly as srs described.
    Registered Linux User #479009
    Friend-->Linux; 6 and counting...

Beans

Ok, so I am back to sq01...but I still have the issue with fdisk not wanting to play with GPT (at least the fdisk packaged with SystemRescue)
    No, use fdisk. The warning it displays is a warning, not a terminal error. It will work. (That is, fdisk will work; I can't promise with 100% certainty that adding the active/boot flag to the 0xEE partition will let the computer boot, although I strongly suspect it will.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    No, use fdisk. The warning it displays is a warning, not a terminal error. It will work. (That is, fdisk will work; I can't promise with 100% certainty that adding the active/boot flag to the 0xEE partition will let the computer boot, although I strongly suspect it will.)
    Your instructions worked perfectly for me.

Ken, you have to ignore the warning messages fdisk gives you and simply follow the instructions. It works, swear.

Beans

Hi SRS & tarahmarie,

I used the lucid CD, booted live, wiped the disk & started fresh with all the steps listed for gdisk, did the install, then fdisk, saw & ignored the error message, and still no joy in booting.

I am going to try swapping the M/B with an AOpen (UGH) board I have here, to see if this is an Intel BIOS issue, or drive issue. Will update when done.

thanks for the help

regards
    Ken

Beans
    Distro

Hi SRS & tarahmarie,

I used the lucid CD, booted live, wiped the disk & started fresh with all the steps listed for gdisk, did the install, then fdisk, saw & ignored the error message, and still no joy in booting.

I am going to try swapping the M/B with an AOpen (UGH) board I have here, to see if this is an Intel BIOS issue, or drive issue. Will update when done.

thanks for the help

regards
    Ken
    The thing that fixed it for me was ensuring that the boot partition was flagged. Did you check for the asterix?

Beans

Hi again

Yes Tarah, I did confirm the boot flag.

Took drive & installed on ASUS m/b in another case; Lucid booted fine - no CD needed. The PITA here is that the Intel board has 4SATA ports (I have 4x2TB drives), but the ASUS has only 2 sata....

So this whole event is the result of the Intel BIOS not playing nice

Rather than beat my head anymore against a brick wall, I will just add a PCI sata card I have kicking around so I can use all 4 disks.

Thanks for all the help here though - I didn't find any other sites that has such excellent detail regarding the Intel issue. A few other postings on the forums refer folks to more info about GPT, partitions, and disk geometry; I just needed to get this working without going back to school for a semester

regards
    Ken

Beans
    Distro

I am a little frustrated too. Can you give me your bios version? When I get home in a bit, I will reboot and find out if it is the same as yours.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tarahmarie View Post
    I am a little frustrated too. Can you give me your bios version? When I get home in a bit, I will reboot and find out if it is the same as yours.
    Hi Tarah

BIOS version TS94610J.86A.0077.2007.0403.1030
    Intel 946GZIS desktop m/b p4 3.0Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM

You can see detailed specs here:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards...-31985879.html

Hope that is helpful

Ken

Beans

It's possible you're running into another of the issues noted on my Web page on the topic. If you used gdisk for the initial setup, my first suspicion at this point would be that you need to use the 'h' option on the gdisk experts' menu, or the equivalent of typing "sudo sgdisk -C /dev/sda" with a recent version of the program. My Web page details several other suggestions, but most of those are speculative; the three issues I've encountered personally or seen described in enough detail to be confident of are the active flag on the MBR partition, the CHS issue solved by 'h' on the experts' menu, and BIOSes so buggy they require updating.

If you get this working in some way not documented on my Web page (besides swapping the motherboard, as you've done), I'd like to hear the details so I can add information on your solution to that page.

Beans

To quote Charlie Brown
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHH! !!!!!!

Decided to try a fresh install, as I was having a graphic driver problem after moving the drive onto the Asus m/b. Following the recipe again & used only Lucid CD.

Used gdisk from universe repos.

partitioned, installed, and amended with fdisk.

Now all I get at reboot is:

Error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

-ken

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast