Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should schools be using linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Should schools be using linux?

This thing about what everybody else uses seems a red herring. I mean my school used BBC Micros, not exactly de-rigour even then. and yet I still went on to work with windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarbyte View Post
    linux is a great way

to go cheap lots of support and very few security problems.

Schools are practically given MS products. Both sides win; the schools get the software they need, and the students leave knowing MS products - and people like what they know.

Beans

Im not sure that familiarity with an OS makes a big difference. When we are teaching kids how to use computers at school we ought to be imparting a skills set that understands the principles of how applications etc work and how to use/manipulate them to certain ends. Most schools general IT class does not go into programming so the differences between the underlying systems doesnt matter.

If schools use linux then they can still teach people the basic skills of how to use applications etc and these skills can still be transferred to other systems that are at all similar. Some office settings use a rather different customized desktop on windows with things in weird places and odd programmes. In my oppinion that doesnt make your previous experience irrelevant.

Just my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree with you; an understanding of a concept, rather than a product, is a much better way of doing things. I've come across countless people who just stopped, confused, because an option they were expecting wasn't where it used to be; It didn't seem to occur to them to actually 'look' around. These weren't stupid people, they've just only ever used one product, and possibly only one or two versions of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Schools are practically given MS products. Both sides win; the schools get the software they need, and the students leave knowing MS products - and people like what they know.
    I know MS products and I do NOT like what I know.

From cp/m and GEM to SV4 I have preferred non MS products. I am now retired after 38 years in computing (mostly mainframe but including Solaris etc.) and now have Ubuntu in Wubi, Virtualbox (inside XP, Vista, W7 and Ubuntu), and on partitions main drive and external USB drives (I love testing in all situations).

Yes - Linux should be taught in schools alongside all Operating Systems available free or at low cost to schools - eventually the best will float to the top.
    Intelligence - that which leads to harmony

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cpmman View Post
    I know MS products and I do NOT like what I know.
    I'm the same, but the members of this forum are hardly a good cross-section of society.

Beans
    Distro

One question. Do the teachers know how to teach Linux? I know that teachers in other countries are skilled but in Moldavia half of the teachers know only copy paste!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I'm the same, but the members of this forum are hardly a good cross-section of society.
    Surely the OP question is about changing the perceptions of society to educate them by introducing the unfamiliar and telling them they have a choice - they are not obliged to accept mediocrity.
    Intelligence - that which leads to harmony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarbyte View Post
    Thats not what i am getting at what i am getting at is with all of these buget cuts linux is a great way

to go cheap lots of support and very few security problems.
    Exactly. Come to third world. Two problems, no computers, and no money for an overpriced OS, not to mention all the associated costs of other software.

And the argument to let kids use a OS that they will encounter IRL is just stupid. If they start using Linux early, at lots of schools, more people IRL will be using it. Oh, and on my perfectly working laptop, running only Ubuntu, some people don't even know its not Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

Come to third world and find spotty electricity or none at all.
    is there a fourth world country designation because that is life for billions of people.

The laptop for children had a good idea putting those hand cranked generators inside the PC.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast