Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World going more Open Source?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

World going more Open Source?

Hey
    I read an article few years ago (can't find the link anymore) which stated more and more companies will switch to open source programs such as Linux to cut back on costs.

I'm seeing this right infront of my eyes as my Comp Sci lab uses Fedora that replaced XP and in my Economatrix class is using GRETL.

Is this a good indication that by when I graduate the companies I may work for will be using Linux or another open source operating system or is my school just that much cooler than everyone?
    ASUS EEE-pc 1001P
    I dont want to Live in a Life without Walls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: World going more Open Source?

I hope so.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

more likely your school being much cooler than everyone. We're forced to exclusively use microsoft products on our school computers, and nobody else knows the difference....
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Certainly would be appreciated, my school is still 90% Windows and Office only.
    You can't just hope-you have to go out there and make things happen.
    My blog and Flash Games!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My school only uses Windows and Macs. The systems administrator was confused when I went to register my laptop with them, and it had Ubuntu. It was funny in a sad pathetic way.

Beans
    Hidden!

I haven't been to a school in a while; but I'm absolutely certain that all public schools and public colleges in my area use Windows machines more than any other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In our country 95% computers in schools are running on Windows.
    I don't really know why should we use open source in schools if you're going to work on Windows?
    I really don't expect that Linux or any other open source operating system will take over the world... Atleast not in my life time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Krajnc View Post
    In our country 95% computers in schools are running on Windows.
    I don't really know why should we use open source in schools if you're going to work on Windows?
    I really don't expect that Linux or any other open source operating system will take over the world... Atleast not in my life time.
    Google already made their staff switch to non-windows. (Apple/Mac OS is acceptable apparently)

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Google already made their staff switch to non-windows. (Apple/Mac OS is acceptable apparently)
    Google is not your typical company either.

Beans

It's really down to each admin and their bosses. At our company of around 30 people I try to push open source as much as I can but I would never force anyone to go open source if they are more comforatable with a closed source product that we have access to. The option is there for them, but 9 times out of 10 they go for closed source out of habit. If you try to force them to do something they are not confident in then they get all funny and think you are being a cheapskate with them. Things like firefox you can get away with. Things like Office and Windows are much harder to get people to happily use. Most power users opt for Windows but I have had some luck getting novices to use Linux in work.
    Last edited by Johnsie; September 14th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast