Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom digs Ubuntu

Talking Mom digs Ubuntu

I suppose the title says it all. I've mentioned the fact in other threads, but I thought it pertinent here.

Mom's hooked on 5.10 and hasn't used Windows in months. Does all her Amazon.com sales, e-mails, printing, letter-writing, Web surfing, Shoutcast ... you name it.

It might also bear mentioning that she hasn't the least technical inclination. She couldn't start up a terminal if she had to, and thinks .deb is a file specially made for someone named Debbie (that was just her idea of a joke, of course).

The corollary to that is that I'm tech support for her, but it's a role I'm willing to play. She's thrilled with using her computer without relying on MS, without fear of viruses or the need for spyware scanners, and I get the experience of troubleshooting her machine for her.

I'm trying to sell her on an upgrade come June, because 6.06 looks promising. We'll see how that goes. For now though, she's a rabid Breezy fan.

So the next time someone tells you Linux isn't ready for the casual user ... point them at this thread.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Re: Mom digs Ubuntu

Just installed Ubuntu Dapper Drake on my mother's laptop, and it works like a charm. Earlier with Windows XP, she had constant problems with virus, breakdowns and freezes. None of that anymore, even though Dapper is just an alpha release go mom
    Ubuntu Linux - approved by my mother

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla
    and thinks .deb is a file specially made for someone named Debbie (that was just her idea of a joke, of course).
    Well, it's approximately true. Debra + Ian = Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since this is the Ubuntu Women thread I thought I'd just mention about my wifes best friend whom I've just converted to Ubuntu.

After the fourth time repairing her Windows XP installation I'd suggested maybe Linux would be more to her liking.

Of course she's one of those computer illiterate people who believes "The Computer" = Windows. She also believes "The Internet" = Internet Explorer.
    Imagine her surprise when I showed her my PC.

So now she has "The Internet" on something called "Firefox", Email is on "Evolution" and Instant Messaging is on GAIM.

She did complain about the funny movie emails her friends would send that she couldnt watch. I'm trying to find a way now for her to play WMV files.

Cheers.
    http://www.robswebsites.com - Linux Webhosting

Quote Originally Posted by gruepig
    Okay, I gotta tell her that now. She'll think she's a Linux genius. You gotta love moms.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution

She did complain about the funny movie emails her friends would send that she couldnt watch. I'm trying to find a way now for her to play WMV files.
    Install automatrix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution
    I guess this is what you're looking for (or automatix). Is she gonna want to update Firefox to 1.5 as well?

Just a side note: whenever I do one of these things (update firefox, install codecs etc) in front of a friend, the friend will say "oh, it is so easy to do this in windows, why don't you use it instead". so beware
    Last edited by towsonu2003; April 12th, 2006 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by gruepig
    My wife is Deborah (deb)

Beans

THat's cool.. I did the same for a friend's mom. I gave my friend a guide to ubuntu so he could answer any of her questions. She loves it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My mothr in law (and fater in law) are both now ubuntu users. gave them a pc with it, showed them the ropes, and they are off and running. Granted they are casual users, who still have to use dial-up. They really like it and that is all that matters to me. As far as tech support, they have me and my son, who is up and comming with ubuntu....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast