Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stuck on boot , BusyBox ,initramfs...

Beans

Re: Stuck on boot , BusyBox ,initramfs...

I am having the same problem with a twist.

I got an old computer working and decided to install Ubuntu 10.04 on it having been given a LiveCD/Install CD.

The computer has an Asus A7A266 motherboard (c 2001) with an AMD Athlon 1.4GHz CPU and 512 Mb memory

The LiveCD worked fine and I decided to do an install which terminated in lots of 'disk sector' error messages.

On reboot I got the Busybox, initramfs prompt.

By typing 'run-init' followed by 'enter' and then 'exec run-init' followed by 'enter' I can get it to boot up to windows. Obviously I would prefer if it would boot up directly.

I tried to update the GRUB as described in post #6 as I have GRUB1.98 and although it reported a successful upgrade once the PC rebooted it still showed GRUB1.98 and the problem continued.

I then tried the solution in mail #4 which identified two harddisk partitions (hd0,1) EXT4 and (hd0,5) SWAP as well as identifying (hd0).

I followed the instructions until at step 6 I got an error message 'error file not found'.

Any suggestions on why I cannot update the GRUB and secondly why I get the error message 'file not found'?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Finally , for me , it was a motherboard problem..my laptop was pretty old

Beans

Finally figured out why it kept ocurring. I had the graphics setting on normal when only None works on this laptop. I don't know why that was corrupting the boot, but it all went away when I downgraded the graphics for all users. Been rock steady since.

Beans

I solved this problem on my computer by adding 'rootdelay=165' to the grub sequence (apologies if my terminology is wrong) having read a number of threads on the topic of being stuck on/in boot.

I guess this thread can be marked as 'solved' as the originator, al1x, has proved his fault to a motherboard problem?

Thanks to the forum for providing such a wealth of information, a little daunting at first due to the sheer volume but very interesting and very absorbing.

Beans

I had this busybox problem and could not do the grub purge because mounting the sda2 partition where linux resides would not happen from the maverick live CD. Trying to mount them gave a busy signal, saying another process already had hold of it, and umount showed it as not mounted yet.

Elsewhere I read that booting with a slax live cd, the partitions would not be automatically mounted and I could run e2fsck -y -f -v /dev/sda2 from a root text prompt. once I did that, I got my system back. Very easy solution once I found it, unfortunately finding it took 8 hours.

Beans

Talking Re: Stuck on boot , BusyBox ,initramfs...

I also faced with the same problem yesterday.
    It started with a file that can be copy paste anywhere suddnely become locked( read only), and then one of my application crashed..and i thought maybe i need to restart my window and press ctrl+alt+backspace...and suddenly poof ...it shutdown..and then the fuking busybox appear...

Thank god i dual-boot my PC, so i went back to my Windows Vista (uwekkk!) and go to the folder I previously installed my ubuntu using wubi..and it wasn't there!! shocked!!

I thought to myself....**** I have to re-install all my files and configurations again..so I installed again my ubuntu...and then restart...

It's a miracle my previous Ubuntu( that has crashed) is back with all the configuration and apps installed!!...sweet!!

I don't know what happen and how it become like this..but I thank god !!

Beans

sorry but when I mount the partition(mount /dev/sdax /mnt), it don't do nothing. I wait a lot of time.

Beans

I found a solution to solve this problem http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=20

Beans

try this:

in grub loading screen press e to enter edit screen.

add "rootdelay=90" without "" to the end of line with UUID=blabla

it will cause a longer boot but most probably will fix your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by hhoyt View Post
    possibly best to reinstall grub2.
    boot your install disk.

from root

1) blkid
    < find the partition you installed ubuntu on
    2) mount /dev/sdax /mnt <<< where x is partion # containing ubuntu and 'a' assumes this is your first hard drive (if have > 1)
    3) mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    4) mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    5) mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    6) chroot /mnt
    7)update-grub
    8) grub-install /dev/sda <assumes the you want grub to be installed on your first hard drive ('a')
    9) reboot
    This worked for me the last few times my ubuntu laptop crashed and had this problem.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast