Thread: Ubuntu keeps logging me out

Beans

Ubuntu keeps logging me out

Why does my Ubuntu 10.04 keep automatically logging me out after only a few minutes of inactivity? I would really like to change that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu keeps logging me out

You mean you need to type in your password after you've interrupted the screensaver?

Go to System -> Settings -> Screen Saver and uncheck the "lock screen when screen saver is active" (or something similar, coz i don't know what the actual english sentence is.)
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates? oO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Ubuntu keeps logging me out

Quote Originally Posted by M4he View Post
    You mean you need to type in your password after you've interrupted the screensaver?

Go to System -> Settings -> Screen Saver and uncheck the "lock screen when screen saver is active" (or something similar, coz i don't know what the actual english sentence is.)
    Yes that is the screensaver. Either turn it off, or extend its time or set it to resume without password.

Beans

Okay, thanks guys, I'll try that out. That sounds like what the issue is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You never did respond back. I'm wondering if it isn't something else. I've noticed that if you open a browser window, but don't maximize it, that your x session will crash if your machine is idle for a length of time. If you then look in the syslog, you will find a render error. You can tell that x session crashed because your desktop will subsequently display the GDM logon prompt. If I maximize my browser before the machine goes idle, I don't see this behavior. Try this: set your computer idle time to one minute, check the Activate screen saver box when computer is idle, and in power management dialogue, set Action to never and Display to 5 minutes. Next, close everything but a browser window which you don't maximize and see if that don't crash your x session after a while of inactivity. If it crashes, then I doubt that it's got anything to do with the lock screen when screen saver is active option. This doesn't seem to happen when the browser screen is maximized, just when it isn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After further use, I've noticed that X only seems to crash when I have the "Put Display to sleep when inactive" option selected under power management and I was running firefox before the machine went inactive. I set the option to Never and the crashes seemed to have stopped for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

having the same problem here. seems to have been solve be disabling the power saving on screen inactivity... seriously not impressed.