Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Linux users and bad GUI's?

I feel like I'm in a minority. After talking to many different users of Linux spanning across many distros, looking at "Post your Desktop" threads on forums, and looking at custom GTK/KDE themes, I have one question:

What's up with a lot of Linux users intentionally having, and wanting bad, old-looking GUI's? Many of them love old, simplistic, text-based GUI's with as minimal icons. On the other hand, you get really tacky "sleek" black and red, or black and blue themes. Hell, even the monochromatic ones are worse. I'm beginning to be under the impression that many Linux users want their desktop that way to intentionally appear like an experienced user who doesn't need a flashy GUI.

Having a good-looking interface won't mean your computer will slow down. This is 2010.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Some people, myself included, prefer the look of minimalistic GUIs. These can also make you more productive. For example, I use a tiling window manager and many console applications and so rarely have to move my hands from the keyboard to the mouse (except when browsing the web)
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Hidden!

I also prefer the modern looking themes, such as what you get from Aero, OSX, or KDE 4's oxygen/air theme. I prefer to have a nice looking modern interface, because why not? If it's not distracting, and it looks cleaner and nicer, I'm all for it. However, I think "bad" is rather subjective in this context. Some people do prefer the minimal look you mentioned.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

I totally agree with the OP, some screens like this one http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/...085360c8_b.jpg (no offence) is quite ugly imo.

I suppose it's each to his own. I do like a minimalistic UI so I often have panels on auto hide and do my best to find monochrome or matching icons.

In a way it's good that the DE's are diverse enough to look so different and in so many ways. Beauty is subjective so one persons crap is another persons picasso.
    For high-res minimalist and abstract wallpapers check out my Deviantart profile - http://hyperdude111.deviantart.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There's a way you can have a minimal look without having it look like crap, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post

Having a good-looking interface won't mean your computer will slow down. This is 2010.
    yeah and in 2010 there are people like me having desktops with 256mb Ram. What do you suggest I do with it? Upgrading is not an option since SDRAMs are not kept in stock any more. Win7 requires at least 700mb ram, xp needs 250mb. But the so called tacky gui of openbox takes only 100mb of ram.

Beauty lies in eyes of the beholder.
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mine's minimal, functional, and easy on the eyes.

Just what a desktop should be.

The one thing I don't like is docks with giant icons. Seriously, it looks hideous.
    GCS d++ s: a-- C++ UL+++ P+ L++ E W+++ !N o-- K w+(---) !O M+ !VMS !PS PE Y PGP+ t 5 !X R !tv b++ DI++ D++ G++ e++>+++ h* r++ y+

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Mine's minimal, functional, and easy on the eyes.

Just what a desktop should be.

The one thing I don't like is docks with giant icons. Seriously, it looks hideous.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

yeah and in 2010 there are people like me having desktops with 256mb Ram. What do you suggest I do with it? Upgrading is not an option since SDRAMs are not kept in stock any more.
    Get a new computer! 256mb you got to be kidding. Even if you cut out all the desktop I don't know what software you can run with it.

P.S. If this is not your main computer then of course the discussion is moot. There is no point in making it pretty if you are just keeping it around just to squeeze the last bit of use out of it.
    Last edited by beew; August 26th, 2010 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

make your gui look however you want and let others customise theirs to their tastes. Why do you care if someone elses desktop isn't to your liking?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast