Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux users and bad GUI's?

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    By being deliberately provocative, I am getting all these people who use ancient computers and floppies to admit that it is a choice rather than a result of poverty. Thus proving my point While I don't really care about your choice,--even though I sound as though I do to get the reactions I intended,--don't expect sympathy if your things are no longer supported.

Well... you're obviously missing the point of Linux because people will always help each other if a hardware is no longer supported.

All in all, it doesn't matter what's the interface someone has, as long as it works for him/her... problem solved, move on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My Desktop is so damn awesamz it makes me hornai!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laptop: i7 4930MX @3.9GHz undervolted; 32GB 4x8GB Kingston HyperX Impact 1600MHz; Nvidia 780M 4GB; Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 250GB; Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 Pro.
    Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    The point is there are no ugly GUIs.
    Hang on now, if you have normal vision there was this...
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/200...or-scheme.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Who needs window borders when you can use the keyboard for everything?

Incidentally, why did MS take away colour customization from XP+? I thought that was really cool. Especially when I changed my friend's PCs to black text on a black background.
    Last edited by Spice Weasel; August 27th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

that's probably the reason they took it out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post

Having a good-looking interface won't mean your computer will slow down. This is 2010.
    So long as they can play with compiz, they don't care.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quake

Well... you're obviously missing the point of Linux because people will always help each other if a hardware is no longer supported.
    So how do you help the guy who is stuck with 256mb of ram because his kind of ram is no longer made? It is not like someone is missing a legacy driver. To tell hnim to further reduce functionality by going for some weirdo OS that can run on 64mb ram and meanwhile not being able to use any application?

Don't get me wrong, I never said you should always rush to get the newest, shinest machine,--this is what many gamers do and I find that completely wasteful, though because of that others can get cheap and fairly new second hand PC. But technology has a life span and you can only go so far to accomodate outdated technology. I remember someone was complaining that Lucid (or maybe even Karmic) no longer support floppies. Hello? Unless you are like a car manufacturer who got stuck with some multi million dollar machine which was state of the art 20 years ago who still would use flobbies, let alone trying to boot a modern OS from floppies? The only thing floppies are good for is to put your coffee cup on.

Do we still build roads along highways to support horse and buggy transportations?
    Last edited by beew; August 27th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cam! View Post
    There's a way you can have a minimal look without having it look like crap, though.
    Are you the guy we should be checking with to determine whether or not our GUI is crap?????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

only thing I ever do on all my Gnome GUIs is make the task bars transparent, turn on the extra desktop effects (I like the wobbly windows), and change the background...im set

If I could figure out how to get the icon to disappear when a drive is mounted, i'd like that too, I like having no icons. Even on my windows machines, I'd even hide the Recycle Bin via GPO, I hate icons.

nm: found it http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...buntu-desktop/
    Last edited by 98cwitr; August 27th, 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Quake

So how do you help the guy who is stuck with 256mb of ram because his kind of ram is no longer made? It is not like someone is missing a legacy driver. To tell hnim to further reduce functionality by going for some weirdo OS that can run on 64mb ram and meanwhile not being able to use any application?
    one way of helping would be to point him to puppy linux, which is, when you ignore the sad looking dog on the default wall paper, not a weirdo OS but a fully functional GUI system with very usable applications.

alternatively, you give him a link to K.Mandla's blog

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast