Thread: Problem with 10.04 netbook install, wireless GONE.

Beans

Problem with 10.04 netbook install, wireless GONE.

Yesterday I purchased a new toshiba netbook NB255-N250. I got it home and ran it through it's paces with a bootable USB key (10.04 netbook remix) I was really impressed with ubuntu (I'm new to this) and excited to ditch windows. Everything worked fine (everything I could think of to test atleast) Including the wireless internet. So I went ahead and shut the computer down, restarted it and used the USB key to install 10.04 as dual boot.

When ubuntu came up the keyboard was all screwed up. It took me a while to realize that the Fn key was acting like it was being pressed down. And The wireless did not work either.

I've since restored the computer to a disk image taken before the install (image of a virgin unused system (windows 7) btw) The wireless now does not work using 10.04 or windows 7 now. 10.04 says it's not present and cant find the hardware. Windows says it's turned off, and needs to be turned on. I've un-installed the drivers and reinstalled to no avail (wireless is an atheros AR9285). The Fn key works. But trying to turn the wireless on/off with the Fn+F8 keys does nothing. NOTHING.

Did Ubuntu somehow burn up or destroy my wireless card?

Does anyone have any idea what has happened here?

Any help would be appreaciated. I've researched this to the best of my abilities and come up with zip, nada.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Problem with 10.04 netbook install, wireless GONE.

Ubuntu did not burn up or destroy your wireless card. Are there more ways to turn of wireless on your computer? Mine has an actual switch in addition to the Fn+F8 combination. Could that switch be off?
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't believe that the wireless device has been broken by Ubuntu. Could it just be that you have purchased an item which only used to have a wireless device which broke down when started using it.

Although weird..

User JB

Edit: another user was faster, I agree with previous writer
    Last edited by User-007; August 26th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Beans

There is no physical switch for the wireless on this computer, but you are correct, it acts just like it has one that is turned off. I too have wondered if the wireless just happened to break. BUT the install of 10.04 was clearly not a good one, the keyboard was not working properly (acted as if Fn was constantly depressed) So this makes me think its a software issue. I would hate to exchange this laptop and try again only to have the same thing happen again, but it is looking like that's my only option.

Beans

Took it to best buy and they couldnt make heads or tails of it. They figure the card just broke during the install and it was total coincidence. Gave me a new computer and told me to try again! Thanks.