Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops?

Beans

Oops?

I have a 400GB hard drive. I have 2 partitions, primary is my XP part (which has about 354GB) and the secondary is my 7 part (I made this to test out windows 7 when it was in beta) which is about 45GB. Today, I decide to scrap my 7 partition to test out Ubuntu once again (hey, haven't used it years). On my XP partition is where I keep all of my pictures, music, movies, you name it, even when on 7 I'd change the libraries to my primary partition.

So I decide to install Ubuntu, and I change the settings so it takes over the 7 partition. It installs fine, I run some updates, connect to the internet, install drivers, etc. However, I try to access my XP partition, or what I assume is it, (It's labeled simply as 354GB filesystem) but I get an error. "Unable to mount location." I've included a screenshot of the error.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm a huge noob when it comes to Linux, so any help would be appreciated. My hard drive (according to sysinfo) is a WDC WD4000KD-00N (400GB SATA).
    Last edited by 3meister; August 26th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Oops?

Have you tried following the error?

Boot into windows and run the checkdisk utility from there?

cmd, chkdisk /f, reboot twice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ironic.demise View Post
    Have you tried following the error?

Boot into windows and run the checkdisk utility from there?

cmd, chkdisk /f, reboot twice
    The problem is that I can't boot into windows. It does not have the boot options, it simply boots into Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

looks like you destroyed your partition...
    thats bad... download GParted with Ubuntu and look if there the partitions are okay
    PS: If you are new to Ubuntu, you should install it with Wubi
    Yours,
    Daniel
    Founder of Ubuntu Austria LoCo
    If you need GERMAN support, post here!
    Council member of Ubuntu Youth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

Can you open a terminal and post the output from
    df -h
    Also try system>administration>diskutility and see what it shows
    Toshiba Satellite A200 Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit (Gnome 3 D.E.)
    Asus EeePC 1011PX Bodhilinux 4.1.0

Beans

Afraid that I might have really ruined my primary partition, I found my Windows 7 DVD and reinstalled it. It appears I made a mess of my partitions, so I sorted it all out with the 7 setup. Windows 7 installed fine, and when I checked on my other drive, everything was there.

I am now going to take Daniel's advice and install Ubuntu through Wubi, which is probably what I should've done in the first place. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0108 View Post
    PS: If you are new to Ubuntu, you should install it with Wubi
    Yours,
    Daniel

Wubi doesn't really install the system, does it? it's more like a playground to play in & test. Just a bit faster than live session and easier than using some virtualization programme. and it can also have problems that normal install (dualboot and such) won't have.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Windows should be an option in the grub menu unless it was overwritten.

The current Ubuntu release has a habit of not detecting Windows on installation.

In the terminal enter
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    reboot, and see if Windows becomes available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

For reference the error looks like the NTFS file system had the dirty flag set. This is usually caused by a bad shutdown on the Windows side, or possible bad blocks. A checkdsk /f clears the flag and Ubuntu will be able to mount the file system.

I believe there is a way to force it to mount despite the flag but it requires some terminal work.

As for the install not showing in GRUB see the other posts.

Since you have Windows 7 up, use it to run a chkdsk /f on all your Windows partitions before trying Ubuntu again. It will make your life easier down the road.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Wubi doesn't really install the system, does it? it's more like a playground to play in & test. Just a bit faster than live session and easier than using some virtualization programme. and it can also have problems that normal install (dualboot and such) won't have.
    Yes it installs the entire OS, but in a virtual drive. It is prone to fail because it relies on the Windows file system, which fragments and can become corrupted. You are also correct that it is more of a "playground" and is not intended as a long-term install.

And Daniel0108 - the OP did not "destroy" their partition. All they had to do was follow eriktheblu's instructions to update grub then follow what the error message suggested. Please refrain from providing misleading and false information.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast