Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How difficult would it be to build my own computer?

Beans

Re: How difficult would it be to build my own computer?

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Well I thought I explained that ... The case is what we all have to look at. Don't buy something you cant look at in 3-5 years time.
    Really!? I never consider the aesthetics of a case, only how well it cools & primarily how easy it is to access the internal components.

And cases can go bad. I remember those older HP and Compaq and even some of the custom cases sold on computer websites cases that have mechanical plastic covers for the drive bays and front ports. Once they break and they make for an ugly case.
    Cases shouldn't break, they just spend their time sitting there sucking in dust.

Also poorly built steel cases can dent or buckle if too much weight is put on them, some can even rust because of low standards when built. Those newer cases with the windows can break and then your left trying to find a replacement.
    All questionable to my mind.

I say just buy a case that is big enough to hold what you want to put in it now & in the future. Some people like to have USB (even firewire) & sound ports at the front of the case. Though this just comes down to personal taste & desire in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've built my last 2 computers. My most recent one is running Ubuntu Lucid. You won't save that much money, but you know exactly what you're getting and what kinds of upgrades you can do. If you don't mind some problem solving, it will give you great satisfaction to build your own system. There is nothing like the "moment of truth" when you first fire it up!

It's really not very difficult, most of it is time spent researching what you want and what will work together. I use http://www.bit-tech.net for ideas on different systems. They do a monthly buyer's guide for different systems to build with good parts. I also recommend http://www.newegg.com for research and purchasing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

There have been plenty of posts in this thread about all kinds of PC components and personal builds. I would just like to add that you can spend loads of money if you have it or scrimp and buy used and discount parts and still have a decent PC in the end. My personal addition is all new from NewEgg for under 300$. That's not expensive for a PC and affordable even for those with less money. It is a modest setup with a AMD Sempron dual core, Western digital 250 gig hd, one gig of ram, dvd+rw drive, and the last and simply a luxury item, ATI 512 mb 4350 video card. The video card is a luxury because the motherboard already has onboard graphics. The reason I wanted to add to this thread is due to the admirable performance this rig exhibits. I can encode a full music CD in under 10 minutes, a full rip and encode to .avi from DVD in under 50 minutes. Granted it's not nearly as fast as my latest quad AMD, but I've spent at least 150$ more on that machine. I'd like to add that the standard driver for the ATI 4350 is very impressive (radeon). Linux doesn't require the latest and fastest to perform well and I enjoy on the cheap rigs for there thrifty quality. My father really did teach me something about thrift, if only I could stop buying the cheap computers
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345