Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 removed NBR

Beans

Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 removed NBR

I had installed 9.04 Netbook Remix on my Dell Mini 9 a year or so ago. The Update Manager kept reminding me that there was a new version out, so I finally decided to upgrade tonight.

I knew that the upgrade would only bring my system to 9.10 which is now preceded 10.04, but I didn't mind behind a little behind.

When I chose to upgrade, I did it through the Update Manager's "upgrade" button. It was painless and took about two hours. During the upgrade, I was concerned that the new version might not contain the Netbook Remix.

Well now that my Mini 9 is running 9.10 I believe my concerns were correct because I can't find the "switch window mode" under any of the menus.

Is there a way to add the NBR after the fact without reinstalling the OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 removed NBR

Yikes. It shouldn't change your installation type! I've never heard of that happening before. Any chance that the useful feature you liked just got removed? I mean, are you sure it's still actually a part of UNR? (Sometimes it seems like the Ubuntu devs try to figure out ways of breaking things that were fine before they "fixed" them.)

To answer your question: I'm not aware of after-the-fact ways of installing UNR, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. It's just a version of gnome, and if you knew which packages to install, you'd get the new "skin". Like installing kubuntu alongside ubuntu, for instance.

Beans

Sadly, the issue of not being able to rollback or re-instate older software post-upgrade is very, very common with Linux OS users.

Some packages just aren't maintained any more, some were never updated...

It annoyed me intensely to find that several tab window effects aren't supported in Ubuntu 10.04, for example.

If you have any script knowledge it's possible to modify virtually everything. Consider Mr Google on editing the scripts used - even advanced users copy and paste script.

Sorry this isn't more specific an answer but with a free OS the truth is that things move very quickly and often packages just get left behind.

Beans

So. Is there a UNR for 9.10 or 10.04?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, of course. This is the link to download UNR 10.04. That would be a new install, which means you'd lose any packages you installed yourself and, unless your /home partition is separate, all your configurations. (You could back up your current home, and then copy it back after installation to avoid that.) There's a page of instructions about upgrading. I wonder if maybe you ran into trouble because you pushed a button for a "regular" ubuntu upgrade. The UNR upgrade seems to be quite separate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

its this easy if it isn't installed

open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Before trying to install anything, look at sessions in the lower panel of the login screen to see if you have the gnome-desktop session selected, instead of the netbook.

Beans
    Distro

look at sessions in the lower panel of the login screen to see if you have the gnome-desktop session selected, instead of the netbook
    Good point! Why didn't I think of that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Before trying to install anything, look at sessions in the lower panel of the login screen to see if you have the gnome-desktop session selected, instead of the netbook.
    Good tip. In the sessions window I have Failsafe Gnome, Gnome, and xterm. So I figure that UNR isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post

Code:
    I will be trying this next and I will post my adventures to follow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post

Code:
    Hmm. Well it it seemed to go well. It said it has 1 new package to install and installed it. It went surprisingly fast. I think it only downloaded 64k. After the installation I could not find a way to activate it. I logged off to look at the session options. Nothing is different from my previous post. And I can't find 'switched window mode' under preferences or administration. I look around the rest of the menus, no sign of UNR. Oh and I did all this after a reboot. I retyped your install command and it says it is already installed.

So not sure what else to do at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast