Thread: Distributing paid software to Ubunto users

Beans

Distributing paid software to Ubunto users

Hi--

I am the developer of a Java software application that helps people learn Chinese. I sell it to Windows and Mac users on my website. I've had a number of requests from Linux users for a Linux version of the software.

Because it is Java-based, the program does run on Linux machines, and I include instructions on my website for making it work. If I wanted to sell a Linux / Ubuntu distribution package for my software on my website so people could install and launch it more easily, what would be the easiest way to do this?

I am not a Linux user myself (yet), but I would like to make my software readily available to Linux users. My software is not free, but it is modestly priced, and seems to be pretty popular with Windows and Mac users.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks,
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Distributing paid software to Ubunto users

I don't know if it's possible with javascript, but you can make a .deb package for Ubuntu users. There's more information in the Packaging and Compiling Programs section of the forum.
    64-bit Natty, AMD Phenom X4, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5670

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Distributing paid software to Ubunto users

Make a .DEB

If you dont know how to, talk to a packager,
    change a copy of the software for a packaged version, or pay to the packager.