Thread: Save files permanently during a guest session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Save files permanently during a guest session

The tutorial Customize guest session, which also covers several other ways to customize guest sessions, effectively supersedes this document.
    Background

The guest session feature (package gdm-guest-session) lets you start a temporary guest account with restricted privileges. Basically all changes are automatically deleted when a guest logs out.

It's nice to be able to hand over the computer to a friend or colleague who wants to check their mail, for instance, without a need to worry about security. However, somewhere I think they should be able to save file(s) which a regular user can work at further later on. Fortunately I noticed that they can - in the folder /var/tmp - and I decided to let my guests know about that fact and share my solution here.

Howto

1. Create a dedicated folder

Even if it's possible to just use /var/tmp, creating a subfolder is probably a good idea.

sudo mkdir -m 0777 /var/tmp/guest-data

2. A script for the purpose

This script inserts a desktop icon with a shortcut to /var/tmp/guest-data and launches an info dialog:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# exit if regular user
    if [ $USER != 'guest' ]; then
        exit 0
    fi

# shortcut to the guest-data folder
    echo '
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Persistent guest data
    Name[sv]=Filer som bevaras
    Type=Link
    URL=/var/tmp/guest-data
    Icon=folder' > $HOME/$(gettext -d xdg-user-dirs Desktop)/guest-data_shortcut.desktop

# make the info dialog window become on focus
    sleep 2

# info dialog
    zenity --warning --title='Warning: Data will be deleted' --text=\
    'Please be aware that this is an Ubuntu "Guest session".
    It means that your data will be automatically deleted,
    and possible altered settings will be reset when you log out.

There is an exception: Files that you save in the folder
    /var/tmp/guest-data  will be preserved.'
    Take these steps to install it:
    • sudo gedit /usr/bin/guest-session-mods
    • Copy and paste the above code
    • Save and quit the gedit window
    • sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/guest-session-mods

3. A desktop file

Finally we need a desktop file that invokes the script at the startup of each guest session.

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=guest-session-mods
    Exec=guest-session-mods
    NoDisplay=true
    Take these steps to install it:
    • sudo gedit /etc/xdg/autostart/guest-session-mods.desktop
    • Copy and paste the above code and save

4. Test

Now when you start a guest session you should see this info dialog:

Comments

No system files are changed, and regular users are not affected. Consequently, if you change your mind, and/or would it not work to your liking, this is all there is to remove it:
    • sudo rm -r /var/tmp/guest-data
    • sudo rm /usr/bin/guest-session-mods
    • sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/guest-session-mods.desktop

It's worth noting that this customizing approach can be applied if you want to display some other dialog and/or make other programs be launched at the start of a guest session.

I'll be watching this thread. Don't hesitate to post your questions or comments.
    Last edited by Gunnar Hjalmarsson; September 12th, 2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Link to "Customize guest session"

Beans

Re: Save files permanently during a guest session

Thanks very much.
    Could you also tell why can't I use sudo in the guess session, for example to copy some file into the "Persistent folder" [created using the above instructions]. Also, the folder I copied into the guest session in the folder guest-data, don't have permissions to edit them. Is this permission thing independent the task done here; in that case could you please tell how to take care of modify permission while copying some files/folders to the "persistent folder"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Save files permanently during a guest session

Quote Originally Posted by santhust View Post
    Thanks very much.
    You're welcome.

Could you also tell why can't I use sudo in the guess session, for example to copy some file into the "Persistent folder" [created using the above instructions].
    The idea with the guest-session feature is to provide a session with restricted privileges, so sudo wouldn't fit in very well, would it? Besides I don't understand why you would need sudo to copy files into the folder. You did give it 0777 permissions, right?

Also, the folder I copied into the guest session in the folder guest-data, don't have permissions to edit them.
    Files that you want to let others edit but the user who created them should better be given 0666 permissions.

Is this permission thing independent the task done here; in that case could you please tell how to take care of modify permission while copying some files/folders to the "persistent folder"?
    As is stated above, this tutorial has been superseded by a more complete tutorial on customizing guest sessions. Maybe you want to install the kit provided there; among other things it sees to it that files created by a guest are given 0666 permissions by default.