Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wacom pen & touch (CTH 460) stopped working

Beans

Wacom pen & touch (CTH 460) stopped working

So I got my CTH 460 (pen & touch) working fine by following these instructions http://gutsywww.ubuntuforums.org/sho....php?t=1515562 (thanks Favux for the marvellous How To btw) and all was good with the world.
    Then I turned my laptop on without having the wacom plugged in and the next time I plugged the tablet in, it didn't work. So I did a bit of digging and figured that this was due to hotplugging issues because I'm using the xorg driver. Since trying to fix this I have also run an update so my kernal version has changed, which has made the situation even more difficult.

xinput --list returns no wacom info at all but the tablet shows up under lsusb.
    the xorg conf file is still in place and the wacom module still appears under /etc/modules so I guess it's still loading
    however, my xf86-input-wacom directory has disappeared and when I tried just ripping it all out and starting from scratch the instructions above fail at this point because the rebuild doesn't build this directory. Anybody know how to get around or fix this?

can anybody give me any ideas on what to try to get this working again please? and is it possible to get it working so that I can unplug it without going through this every time? If this has been covered before could someone point me to the link please?

system: acer aspire 5315, lucid lynx, kernal version 2.6.32-24-generic
    tablet: CTH 460 wacom bamboo pen & touch

any help would be greatly appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wacom pen & touch (CTH 460) stopped working

Hi elektra,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

To hot plug you have to use the 10-wacom.conf, not the xorg.conf.

When a new kernel comes through the wacom.ko that is in it's modules directory is the default 0.8.4-4 which doesn't work for the Bamboo P&T. Just recompile the 0.8.8-8 wacom.ko (I.) and copy it into place.

Not sure what you're talking about with the xf86-input-wacom directory. But you should be able to tell Synaptic Package Manager to install or reinstall xserver-xorg-input-wacom which will get you the default Lucid 0.10.5 xf86-input-wacom. Then just clone the git and compile over it (II.).

Beans

Hi Favux,

thanks so much for your help, much appreciated. I'm trying to recompile the linuxwacom and have run into another problem at this point:

sudo cp ./src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

I'm substituting '2.6.32-24-generic -r' for 'uname -r' as this is the kernel that I'm running and I keep getting the error:

cp: cannot create regular file '/lib/modules/2.6.32-24.generic -r/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko': No such file or directory

any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've manually checked and the wacom.ko file is in the destination kernel directory but I don't know if this is the default one or the one I'm trying to replace it with, if that makes sense.

Toying with the idea of just moving on if I can't sort it and coming back to it later if it becomes a problem, what do you think?

Beans

So I pushed on, rebooted and hurrah, the tablet is recognised and kinda works. Then I followed the rest of the directions and cloned git and built xf86-input-wacom. Everything worked fine up until ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr under xf86-input-wacom when I got this:

No package 'xrandr' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables X11_CFLAGS
    and X11_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

which I'm guessing is an unmet dependency??

so I tried installing xrandr to be told that x11-xserver-utils has replaced it, so I installed that instead and got exactly the same error.

any suggestions as to how I solve this please? I've attached a dump of the terminal output, just in case it's my error and I can't see it (more than likely as I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, other than following someone else's masterful directions).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really need to get this working and it's now confusing the hell outta me

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

It looks like 'libxrandr-dev' is the unmet dependency. So either add it to the dependency line or:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get libxrandr-dev
    I'm able to compile xf86-input-wacom without it. I do have libxrandr2 installed. Maybe it's video card or video driver specific? Which video card and video driver do you have?

Beans

thanks for that, much appreciated.

If I've queried this correctly the graphics card is an Intel GM965/GL960 Integrated Controller. Does that sound right? Or am I looking at the wrong info?

Will try installing libxrandr-dev now and let you know if I get success

Out of curiosity is there a common/logical way of working out what missing dependencies are in these situations? Would be really cool if I could learn how to figure these things out....

Thanks again for your help

Beans
    Distro

Hi elektra,

If I've queried this correctly the graphics card is an Intel GM965/GL960 Integrated Controller. Does that sound right?
    That's right.
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Out of curiosity is there a common/logical way of working out what missing dependencies are in these situations?
    Not that I know of. Basically you hope for a clue in the configure or make file and google it and also check for it in Synaptic Package Manager.

Beans

It works!

Hot-plugging now working (so far, anyway) and Chris Bagwell's suggestion for modifying the wcmCommon.c file has definitely made an improvement to the touch, so thanks for including that in the How To.

Presumably every time I update the kernel I'll need to recompile linuxwacom and xf86-input-wacom?

Will I need to replace the 10-wacom.conf file every time as well? I am using the 50-wacom.conf file, but I've inserted it into the 10-wacom.conf file that was already in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/. (by deleting what was there then copying & pasting) - that's ok, right?

Oh, and I double checked the graphics card info and it's definitely an Intel GM965/GL960.

Thanks so much for your help Favux, and all the work you and everyone else put into the development of these drivers, appreciate it.

I'm off to play with my new tablet

Beans
    Distro

Great!
    Presumably every time I update the kernel I'll need to recompile linuxwacom and xf86-input-wacom?
    Just linuxwacom for the wacom.ko.
    Will I need to replace the 10-wacom.conf file every time as well?
    No.
    I am using the 50-wacom.conf file, but I've inserted it into the 10-wacom.conf file that was already in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/. (by deleting what was there then copying & pasting) - that's ok, right?
    Shouldn't be a problem for you.

Beans

Thanks for the clarification Favux, much appreciated.

3 weeks on and the tablet is still working fine, even the hotplugging is working

thanks again for the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast