Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI mobility radeon HD 4250

Beans

ATI mobility radeon HD 4250

Hi, I'm think of buying the Acer Aspire 7551-P323G32MN laptop. It comes with an ATI mobility radeon HD 4250 graphics card, and I was wondering whether or not that card is supported by ATi to work in Ubuntu. In the release notes, all I could find was that the Ati mobility radeon HD 4200 was supported, it didn't state anything about the 4250. Does anyone know whether or not the proprietary driver will work in ubuntu?

Beans

Re: ATI mobility radeon HD 4250

i got an acer as 5551 with same graphics card and i am wondering the same, will this card work with latest ubuntu, i am though gonna do a clean install right now with ubuntu 10.04, and test and will report back as soon as i know anything but from what i can read there is a issue with this graphics card on ubuntu, if anyone has a fix please post it here ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It could be same as mine. Yes, you can install ubuntu/kubuntu with HD4250 like I can on HD3470, but I can't install drivers from ati website or using hardware drivers. You will get errors and be worse than run without drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by rufuz View Post
    but from what i can read there is a issue with this graphics card on ubuntu
    Where did you read this? From what I can make out the mobility HD4250 is very little different from the HD4200 and the HD4200 in my laptop works just fine in both Lucid and Maverick. Posting with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by tadaskr View Post
    It could be same as mine. Yes, you can install ubuntu/kubuntu with HD4250 like I can on HD3470, but I can't install drivers from ati website or using hardware drivers. You will get errors and be worse than run without drivers
    Both my HD4200 on this laptop and my HD4350 in my desktop give me enough acceleration and 3d to run compiz with the default open-source driver. That's in both Lucid and Maverick. The only reason I can see for using the proprietary driver - with my two cards at any rate - is if you play games. Which I don't.

I tried to install the fglrx driver once. I nearly lost the will to live.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It could be problem with ati drivers, because in past i could install drivers and everything work, but now i can't. Maybe time to wait for new drivers

Beans

Hello,

It's been a while since I've used Ubuntu so excuse me if I seem a little naive. I was planning on buying the Acer AS5551 and am wondering if any proprietary drivers would be made available soon to install via the "hardware drivers" menu in "administration". Because I need this laptop for school and I am not planing on doing any major modifications on it. Even though it works fine with the generic open source drivers, it would be nice to use this computer at its full capabilities. Has there been instances in the past where proprietary drivers were made available via the "hardware drivers" menu in "administration" after the GFX card was released?

Cheers,

IC2D
    Last edited by IC2D; September 26th, 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: People might say "it works fine without the driver"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by IC2D View Post
    Even though it works fine with the generic open source drivers, it would be nice to use this computer at its full capabilities. Has there been instances in the past where proprietary drivers were made available via the "hardware drivers" menu in "administration" after the GFX card was released?
    What do you mean by "full capabilites"? Are you intending to do some serious gaming on it? If not the open source driver will be more than enough for your needs. I believe that ATI/AMD themselves are involved in the development of the open-source driver, so if it meets your needs you needn't bother with the closed-source driver. More information here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Don't let that page let you think that setting up the ATI driver is difficult. All I had to do with both my ATI cards was to install Ubuntu. I even had the basic compiz effects such as transparency enabled by default. To get the other gee-whiz stuff such as the rotating cube I simply had to install the compizconfig-settings-manager package.

My experience with the proprietary fglrx driver in Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) with the HD4200 card was less than happy. Its performance was far worse than the open-source ati driver, even though the version of the ati driver that came with Karmic didn't give me compiz. I don't know what the version of fglrx that Lucid would install is like with the HD4200. I didn't bother to try it because Lucid's more recent ati driver was giving me everything I wanted.

If you search the forum, you'll find that's a pattern with the ati and fglrx drivers - performance and experience varies with card and version of Ubuntu. So I can't guarantee that the HD4250 will behave the same as the HD4200.

There is one thing you could try. Are you able to get your hands on an Acer AS5551, say a demo machine in a shop? The sales staff may let you try booting up with a live CD or live USB. If you do, the ati driver will be the default and you could test it. Desktop performance is sluggish in the live session so make allowances for that. While you're about it you can test all the other hardware such as wireless, Fn keys, trackpad and so on. Experience with Acers seems to vary model to model. Everything works on mine but the trackpad performance is appalling. But so it is in Windows 7, so that's down to the trackpad. Owners of other Acer laptops seem to experience hardware issues, so it's worth testing if you can.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I have a HP 62 laptop with a HD 4250 graohics card. Initially I found the only version of Ubuntu that would boot without a blank screen was Karmic. All attempts at downloading and installing the ati-driver installer have failed. No proprietary driver installed is reported from the system - admin - hardware drivers and the display config tool just gives unknown "It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?" Clicking yes says problem initialising catalyst control centre. no Ati hardware installed. So I'm stuck with no display out eg for a data projector and 1024 x 768.

I can try an upgrade and hope it's fixed with Maverick but last time I tried I got a blank screen so could do nothing.

So I would say avoid HP laptops with ATi graphics, it's not worth the hassle.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ingotian View Post
    I have a HP 62 laptop with a HD 4250 graohics card. Initially I found the only version of Ubuntu that would boot without a blank screen was Karmic. All attempts at downloading and installing the ati-driver installer have failed. No proprietary driver installed is reported from the system - admin - hardware drivers and the display config tool just gives unknown "It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?" Clicking yes says problem initialising catalyst control centre. no Ati hardware installed. So I'm stuck with no display out eg for a data projector and 1024 x 768.

I can try an upgrade and hope it's fixed with Maverick but last time I tried I got a blank screen so could do nothing.

That's unfortunate. I am thinking about getting a Sony Vaio E-series (Sony VPCEE23FX), also with ATI Radeon 4250 HD. I haven't tried it myself, but try this:

1. To do this, enter in a terminal:
      glxinfo | grep rendering
    2. If 3D acceleration is working, the following will be displayed:
      direct rendering: Yes
    3. If it doesn't work, follow the steps to activate 3D acceleration.
      1. Install the xorg-driver-fglrx package from the "Restricted" repository
      2. To set up the new driver, enter in a terminal: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        Agree to automatic detection of your video, and choose the driver fglrx when asked.
      3. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Please note: AMD has just released the latest AMD Catalyst 10.10 for Linux x86/x64, this release provides support for Linux Operation System which can support openSUSE 11.3 and Ubuntu 10.10. With ATI Radeon HD 4250 gfx card on board, we recommend you to download this driver, which will also avoid the 3D Acceleration problem.

Actually, version 10.11 is out. Do a google search. Try installing the proprietary driver manually. Does that work?
    Last edited by WilliamNY; November 24th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Ingotian View Post
    Here 62 (HP G62-b55SM 2,4 GHz (XF377EA)) comes with Radeon HD 5470, 512 MB and Suse Linux preinstalled.

Similary 72.... wish i had the money...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast