Thread: AO521 Battery Not Detected

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

AO521 Battery Not Detected

EDIT: Found the solution (on page 2 or click here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post10126099 )

Hola peoples

Just managed to get Ubuntu UNR 10.04 on my AO521 Netbook and it works amazingly (im starting to wonder why i have been dissing ubuntu [been a fedora user for years]) this has been by far the best linux build i have ever used so let me first start by saying. I'm sorry to anyone who has ever heard me diss ubuntu this truly is an amazing distribution.

Now down to the dirty.

By battery is not detected by the system. It works if i unplug the machine it stays on. but it is not giving out any data on its percentage. in fact it doesnt even have a battery tab in the power managment its almost as if it doesnt know there is a battery.

anyone have any ideas. its something i can deal with if i have to but it would be nice to have a battery power profile.
    Last edited by KellyLSB; November 17th, 2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: AO521 Battery Not Detected

Hello,

How did you manage to install ubuntu 10.04 on an AO521?

I tried it myself and it does not seem to work.
    I tried to put the os on an usb memory stick.
    The installation itself was successful and the syetm boots, but as soon as i try to use the mouse or keyboard the system blocks.
    The mouse cursor disappears and it is not possible to enter something w. the keyboard.

Did you have the same and how were you able to fix this?

Beans
    Distro

I used unetbootin to put the i386 ubuntu netbooks remit on a sdcard. I then used the WUBI application from Windows. Once I restarted it completed installation. It booted normally. The only thing that doesn't work is the battery status, and the Ethernet port. However I heard the Ethernet port has a kernel module somewhere or has one coming out soon.

Beans

I have had two of these netbooks so far. The first one is actually doing the same exact thing with the battery status. That one died completely after about 3 weeks and I RMAed it then received this one.

I'm not sure if ACER has changed their hardware in the netbooks or what, but I now have the same issue as the latter of you two. IE my keyboard and mouse are not working. I have tried several other distros and haven't had any luck with them so far.

The main issue is that they must be using some type of newer hardware that isnt' yet supported by the linux kernel.

I hope they fix this soon because it runs really nicely with Xubuntu on it.
    If either of you find a fix let me know and I'll do the same.

Oh yeah the battery status DOES work on the latest netbook just not the touchpad and keyboard. You may hook up a usb mouse and keyboard to do things if you need to.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thedud View Post
    I'm not sure if ACER has changed their hardware in the netbooks or what, but I now have the same issue as the latter of you two. IE my keyboard and mouse are not working. I have tried several other distros and haven't had any luck with them so far.

The main issue is that they must be using some type of newer hardware that isnt' yet supported by the linux kernel.

I hope they fix this soon because it runs really nicely with Xubuntu on it.
    If either of you find a fix let me know and I'll do the same.
    Well i got ubuntu running on mine. i had issues with installing the regular versions but i just install the Netbook Remix with the WUBI installer on the windows start included with windows and it installed fine. im just missing battery status and microphone...

Beans

I know this may be abit old, but the information's still relevant.

If you're having the lockup issue, it's actually related to the video driver. If you pass the nomodeset option to the livecd/usb/whatever, you'll disable the Kernel Mode Setting that ubuntu started using. This is how i solved that issue, though the current beta/rc (10.10) seems to have fixed this somehow...

In other news, the battery is still not detected, but this is a kernel issue apparently as i've tried gentoo with the unstable branch and I'm still getting the same issue.