Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Driver for Promise FastTrack TX8660, TX4660, TX8668

Beans

Re: Driver for Promise FastTrack TX8660, TX4660, TX8668

I have not tried it as a RAID, as I don`n need one, but I too suspect that it won`t work. Worth a try anyways, if you have access to one for testing...

Beans

Hi there,

Can someone send me the source code of the driver too? I tried the support but, of course, the wouldn´t help me. I even tried CentOS, but all the drivers would only work with outdated distris/kernels. I better don´t change too much in the driver files, as i am no expert in linux (and fairly new to ubuntu and this forum). But compile somethin, that i can do.

So could someone please send me the sourcecode?

greetins
    Rakyr

Beans

Hi Rakyr,

The driver is in the thread in the message from Braky from 4th of September 2010. This is the file I was lucky to get from Promise support last summer.

It compiles with a few warnings but it is working as long as the card is configured without hardware RAID. Braky gave this hint. I anyway wanted to use software RAID, so this was no issue for me.

This driver is running since last September without any major problem with Ubuntu 10.04. I have a 5 disk Software RAID 5 array running. Also the performance of the Array seems to be Ok. Only once in a while after the kernel is updated with an Ubuntu update I need to recompile the driver again manually. So far it still works well with all updates in the Ubuntu 10.04 series.

I guess Promise did not mention to you when they expect the open source driver to be ready? Did they mention if they will produce a freely available open source driver themselves or if they just expect the community to produce one sooner or later and independent of them?

best regards, Joerg

Beans

Damn how did i overread this post 3 times? Thanks!!
    Good to know the driver seems to be working flawless.

Promise support wouldn´t say when or from whom to expect the driver, exact wording:
    "Since this controller is a mainstream product, you could expect an open source code in future."

Rakyr

Beans

Hi,

I have upgraded mow mu machine to 12.04 and I cannot get the driver for the TX8660 running. Compiling it from the old sources does lead to errors. I guess the driver was made for the 2.6 Kernel series and does not work with 3.2. Can somebody confirm this?

The other method mentioned in this thread was using the ahci driver and updating ahci.c.
    Where do I find this file? Does this mean I need to compile my own Kernel?

Is there any other way of getting this to work?

I would really appreciate some hints.

Best regards, Joerg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234