Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driver for Promise FastTrack TX8660, TX4660, TX8668

Beans

Re: Driver for Promise FastTrack TX8660, TX4660, TX8668

Hi,

I did contact the forum admins regarding the attachment of the driver package to this thread.

I think on Wednesday I will join in again with testing. The mainboard has hardware issues and a replacement is ordered now.

I have also read now about problems with the LSI chip and its drivers. I am not sure how serious these issues are for my use case, but at least there is a discussion and people seem to work on it.

Adaptec also offers an reasonable entry level 8-port card (Adaptec RAID 2805) and they seem to have good Linux support for that card and in general. However with that card we are at about 200 EUR already. But if you buy cheap you buy twice. Sometimes this is so true.

best regards, Joerg

Beans

Hi all, thankfully stumbled upon this thread after a few weeks of passively tinkering with this card. So I gather from the responses that you've managed to get it recognized as JBOD to do a software raid but haven't gotten it to recognize the card when set to hardware raid? Any chances on getting it to read as a hardware raid?

And for that matter, I wouldn't mind same input on software vs hardware raids. My thinking was always that hardware was better because if the OS goes kaput then the raid is still intact and you can rebuild. Perhaps my logic isn't quite accurate?

Well done on getting the card this far, and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Schmov17 View Post
    Hi all, thankfully stumbled upon this thread after a few weeks of passively tinkering with this card. So I gather from the responses that you've managed to get it recognized as JBOD to do a software raid but haven't gotten it to recognize the card when set to hardware raid? Any chances on getting it to read as a hardware raid?

And for that matter, I wouldn't mind same input on software vs hardware raids. My thinking was always that hardware was better because if the OS goes kaput then the raid is still intact and you can rebuild. Perhaps my logic isn't quite accurate?

Well done on getting the card this far, and thanks in advance for any feedback.
    I only get it to work in HBA mode. Since there is totally no support from Promise, I don't expect it ever to work.

Concerning software raid : check out https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid it contains all the info you need. Pros and cons.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Driver for Promise FastTrack TX8660, TX4660, TX8668

Some extra info about the use of TX8660:

• Looks stable in HBA mode (copied 6TB without problems, rebuild array 4 times)
    • DOES NOT SUPPORT hotplugging disks, all disks will be detached
    • UNPLUGGING disks works
    • in Ubuntu don't use mdadm v2.x , it will freeze on heavy load even when not using the TX8660
    • use MDADM V3.1.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In attachment the driver.
    I hope someone can use it.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Dear all,

Also my software RAID5 based on the TX8660 is working stable. I did start with 3x2TB disks and extended it two times to now 5x2TB. Also the performance seems to be quite ok. I am using it for a while now and i did not experience any further problems.

What I still do not like is that the driver is very rudimentary and does for example not even provide smart info of the disks. I also still fear future kernel updates and the need to recompile the driver with a future kernel. I wonder if I can ever manage to get again an updated version of this driver from promise if needed.

best regards, Joerg

Beans

I've just got the same issue.

Compiled the driver from the source (thanks, braky!). It works fine on CentOS 5.5 (kernel 2.6.18 ), but freezes the Ubuntu 10.10. I've noticed there's no 'scsi_mod' module in lsmod output in Ubuntu, so the 't8sas' driver appears on the left column (when insmod'ing with detached Promise device). Is it because a scsi compiled into ubuntu kernel, not in a module?

I wonder if one of the kernel magicians can take a look in t8sas sources and resolve any compatibility issues... I suspect the ftlib binary works fine, the problem is in the source (which has a lot of 'TODO' and 'fixme' marks according to my investigations).

I can stay with a CentOS for now (although it take a whole five minutes to boot!), but it's more like Win95 to WinXP being compared with Ubuntu, it appears to be a very oldschool Linux But I need it mostly as a host for VMWare Player, so it's ok.
    Last edited by donCreat0r; January 1st, 2011 at 10:44 AM.

Beans

Could somebody give me little howto, because when i try to compile the driver i'm getting error messages on Ubuntu 10.04, while on centos it is much easier.

Beans

I've found that TX8660 works with AHCI driver, you just have to patch drivers/ata/ahci.c adding to ahci_pci_tbl[] (around line 385 on 2.6.32.2) ID of this card:
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3781), board_ahci },

Working with quite heavy usage for a year or so...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kains View Post
    I've found that TX8660 works with AHCI driver, you just have to patch drivers/ata/ahci.c adding to ahci_pci_tbl[] (around line 385 on 2.6.32.2) ID of this card:
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3781), board_ahci },

Working with quite heavy usage for a year or so...
    does it work with a RAID volume configured or just as a plain set of ACHI SATA disks?

I suspect the second option, but hope for a miracle...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast