Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please run this command to improve out-of-the-box Linux support for all Mac models

Beans

Re: Please run this command to improve out-of-the-box Linux support for all Mac model

<"Apple Inc.">
    <"iMac10,1">
    FrameBuff erBase: 0xc0010000
    PixelsPerScanLine: 1920
    HorizontalResolution: 1920
    VerticalResolution: 1080

Beans

Re: Please run this command to improve out-of-the-box Linux support for all Mac model

Quote Originally Posted by furok23 View Post
    hey man id love to help, but im when i run the command i get the same output for both of my graphics cards.. or at least what i think is both cards…

im prolly doing it wrong ya?
    Furok23,

Thanks for trying hard to help...

In order to get the other FrameBufferBase value, you should go the the "Energy saving" preference pane and change the radio button there ("("better battery life" or "higher performance"), then do a full reboot.
    If you cannot find the radio button or it does not work, it probably means MacBook 2010 models have automatic switching based on graphic workload, and, at boot time, the selected graphic card is always the integrated one (Intel in this model).
    Do you see the radio button or not ?

Thanks,

metatech
    Last edited by metatechbe; August 22nd, 2010 at 11:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

<"Apple Computer, Inc.">
    <"MacBook1,1">
    FrameBuff erBase: 0x80000000
    PixelsPerScanLine: 2048
    HorizontalResolution: 1280
    VerticalResolution: 800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by metatechbe View Post
    Furok23,

Thanks for trying hard to help...

In order to get the other FrameBufferBase value, you should go the the "Energy saving" preference pane and change the radio button there ("("better battery life" or "higher performance"), then do a full reboot.
    If you cannot find the radio button or it does not work, it probably means MacBook 2010 models have automatic switching based on graphic workload, and, at boot time, the selected graphic card is always the integrated one (Intel in this model).
    Do you see the radio button or not ?

Thanks,

metatech
    yea i was in there. interestingly enough, i still get the same buffer value for both settings...
    my process was:
    evergy save mode on (integrated graphics switching), run code

energy save mode off (high performance graphics always on), restart, confirm high performance graphics, run code.

same values. shenanigans i say
    any other mpb 6,2 users confirm this?

v41 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

<"Apple Inc.">
    <"MacBook4,1">
    FrameBuff erBase: 0xc0000000
    PixelsPerScanLine: 2048
    HorizontalResolution: 1280
    VerticalResolution: 800
    Last edited by v41; August 24th, 2010 at 03:49 AM.
    macbook-4.1, OS-X.6 + Ubuntu-10.04 64-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furok23 View Post
    yea i was in there. interestingly enough, i still get the same buffer value for both settings...
    my process was:
    evergy save mode on (integrated graphics switching), run code

energy save mode off (high performance graphics always on), restart, confirm high performance graphics, run code.

same values. shenanigans i say
    any other mpb 6,2 users confirm this?
    Same on my mbp 6,2. I'll post the output from tinkering with the efi shell later, maybe that helps.

Edit: See the attachment for efi information, especially dff7 and dfh9.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sidolin; August 24th, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sidolin View Post
    Same on my mbp 6,2. I'll post the output from tinkering with the efi shell later, maybe that helps.

Edit: See the attachment for efi information, especially dff7 and dfh9.
    Sidolin,

Thanks for the rEFIt shell outputs.
    It looks like the MBP 2010 have the following behaviour : the discrete NVIDIA graphic card is activated during the boot, and it switches dynamically to the integrated Intel afterwards.

On my MBP 2009, depending on the "Energy saving" radio button, the activated card at boot time shows its properties (FrameBufferBase, PixelsPerScanLine, ...) in rEFIt shell and the deactivated card does not show them.

In order to get the FrameBufferBase of the integrated graphics on a MBP 2010, it seems that another method is needed...

Can you confirm that your "Energy saving" radio button was in the "on" position during your test ?

Regards,

metatech

Beans

Sidolin,

With the NVIDIA address do you manage to specify the "BusID" of the Intel one in xorg.conf ? Does it actually use the Intel graphics or not ?

Regards,

metatetch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

metatechabe, not that I do not trust you, but I for one would feel much better if a mod came in here and confirmed what appears to me, to be a harmless command, is harmless. Still, it requires sudo so that in itself is enough to give me pause. I won't be of any help either way though as I do not use a Mac. Well that is not true. I do use a mac desktop at work runing OSX 10.5 or something. Would that help? I don't know the model or anything about it really as I am a PC guy.

AlphaA

Beans

alphaamanitin,

I am not a mod but I do work for Canonical. The command metatechbe is having people run is primarily a diagnostics command, it should not harm your computer. That said, I would always advise caution. If you are uncomfortable it is always the best practice to not run a foreign command.

metatechbe,
    I have a macbook pro 6,2. If you want to hop on IRC I would be happy to do some live debugging work with you on the macbook 6,2.

Jason "DBO" Smith
    DBO - irc.freenode.net

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast