Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu should switch DE

Beans

Ubuntu should switch DE

Hey!
    I'm a fan of KDE 4, and while I'm more and more impressed by it, I'm kind of dispapointed that Canonical doesn't want to make it Ubuntu's default DE. I've written an article on TechHaze about why I think it should be so and why I believe it's important. You can find it here. Please comment on it and tell me what you think here or there (and don't forget to vote on the poll)
    Thanks for reading,
    Calixte

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu should switch DE

I posted on the site and i'll post here too.

KDE is not light weight. You think it is simply because you have a fast comp. Gnome by default is more light weight so everybody can use it...we don't want to have people installing Ubuntu with KDE if they have a slower comp...

For users who are more familiar with microsoft windows, Gnome is more similar to it than KDE. KDE will need sometime to get used to.

I've tried KUbuntu on my comp before, i have a fairly fast comp and am able to feel the difference that Kubuntu is slightly slower.

Anyway there is already Kubuntu...so whoevery wants to use KDE can use Kubuntu...What if Ubuntu comes with KDE...do we have the option to get a GnomeBuntu ??

Ubuntu = Gnome
    Kubuntu = KDE

So we don't need 2x KDE ubuntu.

Beans

Check out Kubuntu; I think you will like it. Ubuntu + KDE = perfect!

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by aklo View Post
    For users who are more familiar with microsoft windows, Gnome is more similar to it than KDE. KDE will need sometime to get used to.
    I'm really going to have to disagree here, unless you can show me the version of Windows with 2 bars that has the start menu in the upper left.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

I posted on the site and i'll post here too.

KDE is not light weight. You think it is simply because you have a fast comp. Gnome by default is more light weight so everybody can use it...we don't want to have people installing Ubuntu with KDE if they have a slower comp...
    I never said KDE is lightweight
    As I said in my article, that's a good thing. Ubuntu aims to be different from Windows.

I've tried KUbuntu on my comp before, i have a fairly fast comp and am able to feel the difference that Kubuntu is slightly slower.
    I agree with you, but speed is not the only thing that matters.
    Anyway there is already Kubuntu...so whoevery wants to use KDE can use Kubuntu...What if Ubuntu comes with KDE...do we have the option to get a GnomeBuntu ??

Ubuntu = Gnome
    Kubuntu = KDE

So we don't need 2x KDE ubuntu.
    I answered your last question in the article. I think we need both, but Ubuntu should nfocus more innovation on the KDE desktop than on GNOME (see the "KDE over GNOME" part of my articles for details)

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Check out Kubuntu; I think you will like it. Ubuntu + KDE = perfect!

http://www.kubuntu.org/
    I know about Kubuntu but I believe that 1) KDE should be the default choice new users are oriented to and 2) Canonical should spend more time and effort on KDE than on GNOME (please read my article for more details)

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I'm really going to have to disagree here, unless you can show me the version of Windows with 2 bars that has the start menu in the upper left.
    You're right ( didn't understand that last comment) but that is easily configurable. MY KDE desktop has two bars and a menu on the top-left too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I agree. Also I would like to state that KDE v 4.4 as in Kubuntu lucid, is more lightweight and speedy than GNOME. It is also more functional.

As to Windows resemblance. KDE had the large bar first, the tabular start menu with search first,wallpaper slideshow first, the current snapping windows feature like aero snap was in brainstorm before Windows 7's release.

Beans

I would not like to KDE become the default for Ubuntu given the current state of KDE.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu=Gnome
    Kubuntu=KDE
    Xubuntu=XFCE
    Lubuntu=LXDE

The four main ones I would want are all ready covered, though I am currently using Ubuntu. They are all Ubuntu with different DE's and you can still add many WM's as well as other DE's if you choose.

Gnome, for now, is my favorite. KDE4 is still not up to what I would like to see, yet. However I am guessing Gnome 3 will have its issues as well at first. If it doesn't that will really surprise me.

I do have to say that XFCE is my favorite and I may end up going back to Xubuntu, well after I give Lubuntu a spin around the block

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I would not like to KDE become the default for Ubuntu given the current state of KDE.
    I would like people stating what they don't like and what needs improvement.

We cannot "fix" with out knowing what to "fix".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    I would like people stating what they don't like and what needs improvement.

We cannot "fix" with out knowing what to "fix".
    *honesty switch on*

The interface looks like someone has used Crayola's to design it. The whole "Windows" imitation start menu is just plain irritating and the menu structure makes me want to scream.

Things never seam to be where logic would dictate and the dock wannabe is well just well .......

It seems sluggish awkward and just not useful.

Bottom line it needs redesigning and toning down.
    This account is not active.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast