Hello everybody,

[SHORT VERSION]

I want to reproduce the solutions presented by users *seani* and *dhyan* at: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/cisco-vpn-...nty-users.html in order to connect to my university VPN.

They wrote:

"However my current method (“real” Cisco VPN Client running in a minimal XP setup under VMWare) has the advantage that I don’t lose local internet access."

and

"Ya its true .Best thing according to me is using Sun’s virtual box and have winxp inside ubuntu ."

The difference is that I am using VirtualBox instead of VMWare. And, of course, I am clueless...

[LONG VERSION]

I want to access a VPN network from my laptop. In Windows XP +
Cisco VPN client, on the same machine, the VPN works flawless, I can even ssh (through PuTTY) the machines at my university.

To connect to Internet, I use a PPPoE connection (configured using PPPoeConf).

Anyway, I would very much like to access the same VPN from Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit. Unfortunately, I did not succeed to compile the Cisco VPN client for my linux, neither to use the VPNC or Shrew Soft alternatives. Please do not direct me that way again.

What I finnaly succeed to do is to install a copy of Windows XP as a guest in a VirtualBox virtual machine on my Ubuntu host. I provided two network adapters, one using NAT (through which the guest is able to connect to internet) and another one using Host-only adapter (which I hopefully will be able to use to communicate between host and guest).

Inside the guest Windows XP, I installed the Cisco VPN client for Windows, and I am able to access the VPN, and even to ssh the machines from the guest using... PuTTY. Anyway, I cannot ssh my host, I don't know why (pinging works, it seems).

What I would like is to use the VPN connection available in the guest to connect from the host. Basically, a way to redirect the traffic destinated to my VPN through the tunnel that already exists between the guest and the VPN. Unfortunately... I have no idea how to do it (I messed a bit with route commands, without success). Please help.

Thanks.