Thread: vgaswitcheroo - kernel

Beans

vgaswitcheroo - kernel

Hi, anyone got not 64bit kernel with working vgaswitcheroo working?

I need a deb files

Tried a lot of kernels but none of them has kernel/debug/vgaswticheroo.

Thank you

Beans

Re: vgaswitcheroo - kernel

BUMP__

Come on guys, 2 weeks and no answer??
    I need this too, I run 64 bit ubuntu 10.04, and have switchable graphics. My problem is there are NO bios options related to the gpus, so i cannot set it through the bios. Ubuntu just uses the integrated intel, which is horrible for games or heavy 3d modelling/sculpting or photoshop. Yet, for some reason, it tells me to install the drivers for my ati radeon 5650 hd 1gb. On reboot, i get a blank screen. help someone!!!!

Beans

Puchaty, GREAT NEWS, i have made LOTS of progress.
    http://www.ramoonus.nl/2010/08/linux...-ubuntu-linux/
    that is a link to installing a newer kernel, which includes vga_switcheroo
    I am on my 5650 RIGHT NOW!! I am really happy. I am actually experiencing slightly lower performance than on the intel card, because i haven't installed the drivers yet. Fingers crossed. Does anyone more experienced know, will my laptop use two sets of drivers, one for each card? e.g i can install drivers while using the discrete card, and that shouldn't change the drivers for the integrated intel? Please reply soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take a look here;

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alienware_M11x

I know its arch (and not necessarily your laptop) but the author gives some good tips to using vgaswitcheroo.

Beans

All I want to know is, to install drivers for the discrete card, Do i switch the the discrete card, logout and login, and simply install the drivers for the discrete? will that mean when i change back to integrated it will auto switch the the integrated drivers? please reply soon. I want to install the opensource ati drivers, as i have heard that the fglrx ones don't work