Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: boot from CD cannot mount /dev/loop0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

boot from CD cannot mount /dev/loop0

Hi Folks

I just dl'ed and burnt a 10.04 ubuntu disk (using infra recorder), and popped it in, the ubuntu load screen showed and progress got nearly done then a message shows:

"(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: input/output error.

Can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casperfilesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs."

Can I rescue this disc?

thanks

EDIT: I did have a 9.1 disc somewhere that did work OK before now (but lost is )

Beans

Re: boot from CD cannot mount /dev/loop0

same here, the 64 bit doesnt mount with that exact same error) but the 32 bit version of lucid lynx does.
    i found the 32 bit version somewhere in my box so i guess its not the snapshot but the 64 version is.
    im runing out of cd's here
    i will try to use a pendrive installation and see how that goes.
    greets, kiesel

/edit: i decided to go with the dvd instead of the cd. the dvd is still 10.04, not 10.04.1. Everything worked fine
    Last edited by Kiesel; August 26th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.

Beans

I'm getting this error with 2 burned CDs and on 2 separate computers. One was my laptop which is a Toshiba Satalite P105 and one is a desktop that I built myself, which has an ABIT MB and AMD64 CPU. I downloaded and burned Lucid 10.04 and got this error on these 2 machines so I went ahead and burned the ISO again to another CD, and I am still getting this same error.

I am trying the DVD download now and will attempt install from there.

Beans

UPDATE:
    I downloaded and installed the DVD version of 10.04 and it is working great. I have Googled this error and found a couple of other sites that talk about having this issue when installing for the CD burned from the ISO from ubuntu.com. Is there a known issue with this release?

Beans

I'm seeing exactly the same error --- anyone know what the cause is?

Beans

I am seeing this error as well. Not a good introduction to ubuntu .
    Did the previous post mean that burning a DVD instead of a CD is a solution?

Beans

I just confirmed the above solution. I burnt the iso on a DVD Media and it worked fine. Confirming that the iso does not work when burning on CDR media. At least on my IBM ThinkPad T41.

Beans

I'm having the same issue, however when I burn the ISO to a dvdr media I still get the same issue.

I will try a previous version.

Beans

I decided to try downloading the iso again. To my surprise the size of the .iso that I received was much different (bigger) than the previous one. I burned another CD, and this one works. Just to be sure, I did the md5sum check:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    and confirmed that the new .iso is correct. I don't know why the first one was so wrong. It seems that there can be a problem with the download, and this might explain many of the issues that people are reporting here.

Beans

Talking Re: boot from CD cannot mount /dev/loop0

FWIW This thread helped me to take a look at my ISO. I discovered the download size was 154MB and saw that the 64-bit version was 686MB. I then went back to the download site and started the download again. Lo and Behold it is currently downloading 686MB for the 32-bit version, so my money is on a bad ISO somewhere.

Kind of odd though that a bad ISO was still bootable though, isn't it?

I hope this helps someone!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast