Thread: Help: Unable to delete files

Beans

Help: Unable to delete files

Can someone help me to solve this annoying issue?

Whenever I want to delete something by right-click mouse, I will be told that The file "XXX" cannot be moved to the trash. The more detailed reason: Unable to create trashing info file: Not a directory.

Then I have an option to cancel, skip or Delete. If I choose to delete anyway, the file will be gone, but the space is not freed up, and the deleted file will not appear in the Trash can.

There is the similar problem from the command line. The 'rm' command works, but it will not free up the disk space. To claim the disk space that should have been freed up, I have to reboot my system. The last action will also claim the disk space that should have been freed up by the previous right-click-delete.

I am running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.

It seems a rare problem, because after a few searches in this forum and on google, I found nothing. But what I did wrong, except accidentally deleting some hidden configuration files?
    Last edited by qsc; August 18th, 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Add information

Beans

Re: Help: Unable to delete files

Nobody? Am I so lucky to have this rare problem?

Beans

Lucky you, I have a similar problem.
    I wanted to delete a file, I hit del. button. The file is gone but the disk space is not recovered. Need Help soon, Need help now, Need Help Right Now

Beans

Thanks for confirming this issue!

Since nobody is helping, I am going to rant about Ubuntu
    In the old days things were easy: trash can is just a special directory in the system, usuall .trash. Then comes Ubuntu, which tries to make things look fancy, or look more like MS. SInce then I do not understand how trashing works in Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lughelpme View Post
    Lucky you, I have a similar problem.
    I wanted to delete a file, I hit del. button. The file is gone but the disk space is not recovered. Need Help soon, Need help now, Need Help Right Now
    Wait a minute. Maybe you are not having any problem. When you hit DEL, the file is supposed to go to the trash can, and usually the space is not recover until you empty your trash can.