Hi,

I've just ran a chkrootkit and rkhunter check, and they came up with:
    Chkrootkit:
    /sbin/init [ Warning ]
    /sbin/runlevel [ Warning ]
    Suckit Rootkit [ Not found ]

Rkhunter:
    Searching for Suckit rootkit... Warning: /sbin/init INFECTED

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have the normal repositories installed, but I've played around a bit, installed some software from linux magazine discs (linux format, and linux user/programmer). But other than that I can't think of anything security compromising that I do.
    Last edited by Dalek Draco ON LINUX; August 21st, 2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Suckit Rootkit detected?

It's likely a false positive.
    There's a known bug in chkrootkit
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/454566

Further reading and instructions to figure out if you're really infected
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ht-suckit.html
    Last edited by balaknair; August 18th, 2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: typo
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks. I reinstalled after ossec rootcheck also came up with suckit being detected.

Now chkrootkit and rkhunter are both clean, but for some reason rootcheck is still saying:
    [FAILED]: Trojaned version of file '/bin/login' detected. Signature used: 'bash|elite|SucKIT|xlogin|vejeta|porcao|lets_log|s ukasuk' (Generic).

I'm hoping this is just another false positive as upon reinstalling (I booted to livecd, reformatted, then reinstalled) I have only installed updates and trusted programs like pidgin, bleachbit etc.

With regards to the article on the gentoo forums...do you happen to have a noobs guide to doing it? I got lost after it said change /sbin .

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dalek Draco ON LINUX; August 19th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

From the second link I posted above, you could try these steps to check if you're really infected.
    - The SucKIT rootkit allows an attacker to hide malicious files by giving them a particular ending. The current attacker is hiding code that ends in xrk or mem. To test for the presence of the rootkit, create a file whose name ends in xrk or mem, then execute an "ls -l". If the files you just created are not shown in the output of ls, it means that the rootkit is hiding them, ie. your system is compromised and needs to be rebuilt.

- Change directories to /sbin and execute an "ls -l init" -- the link count should be 1. Create a hard link to init using ln, and then execute the "ls -l init" again. If the link count is still 1, the SK rootkit is installed.

- Rooted systems send usernames and passwords to other compromised machines using TCP port 55, so if you keep records of network connections, traffic to destination port TCP/55 merits further investigation.

If your box really is infected and a rootkit is among the 'trusted' packages in the repos, it merits a closer look, and the Ubuntu repo package maintainers ought to be notified.

Edit: Noob's guide
    - Change directories to /sbin and execute an "ls -l init" -- the link count should be 1. Create a hard link to init using ln, and then execute the "ls -l init" again. If the link count is still 1, the SK rootkit is installed.
    To do this, in a terminal type in
    Code:
    cd /sbin
    ls -l init
    you ought to get an output like
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125704 2010-08-13 04:40 init
    The one(I've highlighted it in red here) is the count you want

Now
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /sbin/test
    sudo ln init /sbin/test/init
    ls -l init
    The output should now look something like
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 125704 2010-08-13 04:40 init

If you still get a count of one, that means something in the background is hiding stuff- possibly a rootkit.
    Last edited by balaknair; August 19th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro

imo its a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/454566
    as mentioned by balaknair
    Last edited by Soul-Sing; August 19th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by balaknair View Post
    From the second link I posted above, you could try these steps to check if you're really infected.
    - The SucKIT rootkit allows an attacker to hide malicious files by giving them a particular ending. The current attacker is hiding code that ends in xrk or mem. To test for the presence of the rootkit, create a file whose name ends in xrk or mem, then execute an "ls -l". If the files you just created are not shown in the output of ls, it means that the rootkit is hiding them, ie. your system is compromised and needs to be rebuilt.

- Rooted systems send usernames and passwords to other compromised machines using TCP port 55, so if you keep records of network connections, traffic to destination port TCP/55 merits further investigation.

If your box really is infected and a rootkit is among the 'trusted' packages in the repos, it merits a closer look, and the Ubuntu repo package maintainers ought to be notified.

Edit: Noob's guide

To do this, in a terminal type in
    Code:
    cd /sbin
    ls -l init
    you ought to get an output like
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125704 2010-08-13 04:40 init
    The one(I've highlighted it in red here) is the count you want

Now
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /sbin/test
    sudo ln init /sbin/test/init
    ls -l init
    The output should now look something like
    -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 125704 2010-08-13 04:40 init

If you still get a count of one, that means something in the background is hiding stuff- possibly a rootkit.
    I get a 2 on the second output . Thank you . solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Draco ON LINUX View Post
    I get a 2 on the second output . Thank you . solved.
    Then mark the thread.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Then mark the thread.

Sorry didn't realise I was meant to. I take it you just mean put solved in the title?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Draco ON LINUX View Post
    Sorry didn't realise I was meant to. I take it you just mean put solved in the title?
    There's no obligation, but it helps others with similar problems. dcstar has the basics in signature - or there's this How-To.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net