Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a restore point in ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

is there a restore point in ubuntu?

hi guys

i just want to know if there is a restore point in ubuntu like in windows, i want to install ubuntu, one of our pc in office since its just for paperworks cause their main problem is viruses and i think it can help them if i install and teach them how to use ubuntu. before i do. i want to know if there is some kind of restore point in ubuntu,

it could help me a lot to maintain the said pc.

--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: is there a restore point in ubuntu?

Simple answer - No. Just make sure you backup your data files. I've been using linux for the past 15 plus years and only needed to restore linux one time when my hard drive failed on one of my laptops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

15 years yet only once you did a restore. Interesting! Another reason to stick with Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah just back up your data ,you might want to use user friendly Pybackpack to make your restore point http://www.ubuntugeek.com/pybackpack...x-desktop.html

Beans

Pro Tip: seperate the / from the /home, saves alot of trouble
    So She Said Internet, And I Said Inter-Not

Beans
    Hidden!

most computers of today supports usb to boot, you probably have to try it first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

as others have said, just regularly backup your files...

since it's just for paperworks, your system won't probably have some really serious problems, unless you do something that'll make it pretty messed up. just remember to be careful in using 'sudo' coz its misuse can spell disaster to your system...

other than that, try a Live CD/USB first.. then, if you feel it's gonna be ok in your pc, then you can finally install ubuntu...

well, good luck and enjoy you ubuntu experience!

Beans

wow 15years of using Linux?!.. astig!!!! yep lesson learned the hard way of making backups hahaha.. yep no restore point in Linux bro, simply because you will never need one! and speaking of back-up check this out LOOK HERE FOR BACKING-UP INSTALLED APPS might save you a lot of time in installing/downloading those apps when you re-install ubuntu on other pc!
    Polytechnic University of the Philippines .... Proud to be Pinoy!..
    Acer Aspire One ZG5 and Neo empriva Laptop: 1.6GHZ intel celeron, 2 Gig DDR2/667 Ram, 160 Gig HDD (80 for Mac OSX Leopard / 80 for Ubuntu 10.04) now i'm a happy man!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dFlyer View Post
    Simple answer - No. Just make sure you backup your data files. I've been using linux for the past 15 plus years and only needed to restore linux one time when my hard drive failed on one of my laptops.
    I have been using Linux (Ubuntu) for 8 months and had to restore Linux from scratch 15 times !! Please give us noobs some simple way of being able to undo a previous action.

We all like to update, tweak etc but even just a simple issue of Updating Firefox rendered it defunct, uninstalling and reinstalling firefox did not work. So back to Reinstalling Linux from Scratch.

Rather than doing a full backup surely they must be software that can simply take a snapshot ! like most other OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Using it for about a year now, and updating didn't cause me any trouble. You may be tweaking a lot of the system files. As far as I know, the updates provided by UBUNTU are the most stable ones as long as you just ticked the "important and recommended" updates.

BTW, restoring could be an issue in UBUNTU whenever we tweak some of the system files. I remember before that I almost broke my system good thing that i saved backups.
    Acer Aspire 4738ZG
    (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Windows 7 Professional)
    Linux User # 529240
    Ubuntu User # 33035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast