Thread: Limited Time Only Custom Theme

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Limited Time Only Custom Theme

Greetings all,

Blue Elegance Theme features soft, subtle, and neutral earth-tones, which are easy on the eyes, combined with vivid color buttons for ease of use. The overall effect is an understated elegance punctuated by pleasantly powerful eye candy.

The GTK theme is a modified version of Dust Sand.
    The Metacity theme is a modified version of Ambiance.
    The icon set is a compilation of Bluestep Humanity, Hi Color, & Gnome

Get the Blue Elegance GTK & Metacity Theme here:
    http://wikisend.com/download/155398/... Theme.tar.bz2

Get the Blue Elegance Icon Set here:
    http://wikisend.com/download/465362/... Icons.tar.bz2

P.S.
    The color scheme is geared for an LCD screen and is so very subtle that it may not view as well on a CRT monitor. Additionally, the screen shots appear bland and do not do it justice. If in doubt, check out the Dust Sand Theme which is, most likely, already installed on your system.

Lastly, download links will expire in 90 days!
    Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maverick_Meerkat; August 16th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Commodore 6410/ AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core 2.10 GHz/ 4GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1066MHz/ 500GB HDD @ 5400rpm(SATA)/ ATI Moblilty Radeon HD 4200 Series Integrated Graphics Chipset/ Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Limited Time Only Custom Theme

Your theme has a few flaws:
    • Titlebar - Your metacity's (or whatever window manager you're using) buttons are too bright and flat

• Icons - From the screenshot, it looks okay, I guess. The Ubunto logo looks horrible (I'm guessing you used GIMP to recolor it, but it would be good if you used the new white flat logo). The folder is a bit too bright.

• The panel - Although it's sort of a minor thing, the top panel looks rather unfitting with the dark text. Maybe make it brighter/grey instead of black. The font color should be brighter though.

Other than that, I think the theme is good, but far from perfect. It is useable apart from the metacity, which could use some tweaking (the ^ and v arrows can use some color change).
    twitter | deviantart | website

i suppert sonikku teh hedgehog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Limited Time Only Custom Theme

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeFire247 View Post
    Your theme has a few flaws:
    It's true there are some flaws that I'm still working on. Many of which, you wouldn't notice until using alternate sizes of certain icons. Additionally, I respect your views. From a strictly aesthetic point of view, you are correct. From a professional design standpoint, I'm breaking the rules. But then... I am a Maverick.

However, this theme was designed specifically for my own personal use. It wasn't actually intended for general audiences. It's really only posted here as creative inspiration for others and to illustrate the nearly endless possibilities for custom design.

It simply amazes me how easy it is to change anything & everything. I'm a noob to Ubuntu & Linux. M$ Windows is extremely restrictive by comparison.

BTW - originally, I tried 3 dimensional buttons that weren't so bright. Personally, I preferred these. Too many themes are completely soft, faded, and dull. I like dark themes, but I need a few visually distracting bright spots.

As for the blue Ubuntu Logo, that is not my work... That is from the Bluestep Humanity icon set. But you are correct, it could use a makeover. The folders are also from that set and again I would prefer them a bit darker. Concerning the blue and pink Min & Max buttons, they fall under the 'strictly for my personal gratification' items. They are probably too distracting and a poor color combination for most people.

As for the black text on the top panel, I agree... It is not a good choice. White would be better. I simply haven't hacked around enough to figure out how to change it without effecting the text color of menu & tool bars. Regardless, the black text works on my LCD screen because of the backlight and the viewing angle.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! It's interesting to read people's responses.
    Last edited by Maverick_Meerkat; August 16th, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Commodore 6410/ AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core 2.10 GHz/ 4GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1066MHz/ 500GB HDD @ 5400rpm(SATA)/ ATI Moblilty Radeon HD 4200 Series Integrated Graphics Chipset/ Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 64-bit