Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does Ubuntu actually do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What does Ubuntu actually do?

Some things are much easier in Ubuntu. For example:

In Ubuntu to get proprietary drivers to work like wireless or graphics there is a an app for that. Arch doesn't. Have fun search down the install procedures some devices are more annoying than others.

Ubuntu uses a customized version of Gnome, Arch uses the vanilla version if it uses Gnome at all. The location of installed Applications and settings are in different locations and can be sometimes confusing to a new Arch user who comes from Ubuntu. Remember Arch uses the KISS ideology so it comes without a GUI.

Arch's package manager pacman is command line based, and there are not many options for a GUI version, most I hear are not so good, but then again this is coming from people who probably like CLI. Ubuntu has 2 graphical options for application searching and a command line interface.

Ubuntu also has access to .deb files. which means you can install many applications in just a few clicks if they are not in the repos. Arch doesn't is own file extension and packages that are not in the repos will need to be installed by hand. Learn to use 'make'.

Arch uses root by default but Sudo can be used if a user wishes. Ubuntu uses Sudo with the root account disabled by default.

With Ubuntu moving toward a more internet friendly environment I find it is losing customization at least on the level I was used to in the old days. Arch can be set up any which way you like right from the start.

On my own computer I keep flirting with Arch but always come back to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

just as you can dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu, you can dual-boot with ubuntu & Arch(or Slackware, or (if you really want to get your hands dirty 'linux from scratch').

Another alternative would be a virtual machine running under (e.g.) Virtualbox.

With either you retain your original setup for college work whilst also having a system to play around with.

If you really want to get deeper into command line, download and/or install RUTE (Rute Users Tutorial & Exposition) from here or sudo apt-get install rutebook
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)

Beans

Just for thought, you could ways install Arch as a VM in a virtualisation program such as VirtualBox. This is what I did and it works great however the downside to running it (or many other distros) in a VM is that you don't have to fiddle with drivers and getting the correct things installed, which may be part of the "fun" and learning that you may be after.
    This VM option may be a good idea though if you don't want to possibly mess up everything with Arch and have no working OS until you either fix it or reintall ubuntu. Or do it all in a VM and then do it all for real once you've got the hang of Arch
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks,

Interesting thread......... Might try some of this stuff myself !

Beans

Hi bunburya,

Quote Originally Posted by bunburya View Post
    Slackware is another distro I've been looking into. I'm not sure what I'll do. Basically I wanna try out something a bit more "difficult" while not over-burdening myself given that I've a busy year of college ahead.
    The 'difficulty' of slackware is often overstated, a full installation gives a working system pretty quickly and the amazing slackbuilds.org fills in any gaps. The community is very different from Ubuntu though...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi bunburya,

The 'difficulty' of slackware is often overstated, a full installation gives a working system pretty quickly and the amazing slackbuilds.org fills in any gaps. The community is very different from Ubuntu though...

Andrew
    Often overstated by "by people new to Linux". Coming from a GUI world and delving into the command line and editing is not everyone's cup of java. The stability of Slackware is often understated though. Slackware's deault is to run as root so you'd better be up on your sysadmin skills or you could bork your system fast, but once learned the skills will stay with you.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One thing that Ubuntu does that Arch and Slackware tend not to, is to pre-configure "bundled" projects in a way that provides a positive out-of-the-box configuration for the typical user. This is something that some seasoned veterans dislike -- for example, opening XChat will connect you to Ubuntu's IRC servers and support channel, rather than popping up a "Configure your nickname and choose a server" dialog that the upstream stock version does.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12